Astra 1.4 Erratic Engine Revs

Hi all,

My brother has a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 T reg single point injection which has a intermittant fault.

The engine revs are all over the place, when you start the engine it jumps to 4,000 rpm ish, then will drop to 1,000 ish, then hunt around all over the place, whilst it is exhibiting this fault, if you press the accelerator and try to hold the revs at 3,000 ish, again, it hunts around all over the place.

I have taken out the idle control motor, and it is moving in and out when the igntion is turned on.

I have taken out the injector, and again it looks clean and ok to an untrained eye !!.

The fault will go away as quickly as it comes, which makes it hard to diagnose !!

Any ideas ??

Thanks,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Whitmore

If this has a Multec F ecu, have it tested by atp, these ECU's are notoriously unreliable. It probably will prove to be faulty. Vauxhall have been replacing these when they fail for free, so speak to your dealer. The new one will require the latest softare patch, and coding to the immobilizer.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Probably worth pulling the fault codes e.g.

may just be a faulty sensor.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Sounds like the control idle valve, take it off and give it a clean in hot soapy water. Dry it well (hair dryer) and refit, then see. Worked well on my old 2.0i Sierra.

Dave

Reply to
Rebelrouser

I tried that, I think it's the Simtec 56.5, the engine management light is NOT on, but I got 0200 from the flash codes. Trouble is 0200 is not listed on the topbuzz site !, 0201 is injector 1, 0202 injector 2 etc, as this is a single point injection system I thought 0200 may be the injector.

Any ideas ??

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Whitmore

Firstly you wont have a simtec 56.5- this is multi point ONLY, check again.

Then cancel the fault code(s) then disconnect the battery for 15mins or so to force the ecu to re-learn adapted values.

See how you go from there.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

OK, but I did get 0200, or ten flashes, two flashes, ten flashes, ten flashes, pause, repeat, etc, when I shorted pins 5 and 6 in the socket under the handbrake.

Any idea what ECU it may be, and where to get the flash codes from (I'm sure its a 1.4, T reg, and it is definately single point injection :-)) ?, 0200 doesn't seem to fit with any of the other ECU's on the Topbuzz site.

How do I cancel the fault code(s) ?

Thanks for your help, Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to