How do you approach Ford dealer re Brake problems?

I bought a used 2000 Ford Focus with 30,000 Klms a little over a year ago. It has been a generally good car.

Now at 55,000 Klms my local service garage tells me that I need pads and rotors as there is excessive wear on the inside surfaces of the pads. The garage quoted me around $300CDN for the brake job and that was with upgraded pads.

I then phoned my local Ford dealer and explained that I thought at

55,000 Klms it was a little too soon to be worrying about brake replacement and felt that the wear was somewhat out of line with the average. Their answer; this is about average for a Focus. They also asked me when I had last had the brakes serviced. Of course I hadn't (they charge $150CDN for the servicing which they said must be done every 15,000 Klms). BS?

I asked how much pads and rotors would be and they quoted me $503CDN, explaining that the replacement rotors and pads were Motorcraft and therefore much higher quality. So, you're telling me that the original brakes are s**t to which I received no reply. What little reading I have done has led me to conclude that Focus brakes have been an issue though there has never been a safety recall on that component.

Anyway, can I get any ammunition from anywhere to help me get a better deal from Ford? I know that at the end of the day I will likely return to the independent garage where the price seems a little more realistic.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

SOL, I'm afraid. Brake pads/rotors are one of items that specifically aren't warranteed, IIRC. You can probably find similar if not better quality aftermarket parts for the job for the same or less than the dealership will charge, ditto for labor rates. If you are feeling ambitious and depending on how the rotors are attached this is a fairly easy DIY job. John Cairns

Reply to
John Cairns

I suppose I was looking for something inherently wrong with the design of the brake system that leads to premature wear. I suspect I will have to lay out the cash as you suggest but thought there might be an avenue to pursue.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

"Rockin Ronnie"

Actually it's about average for many cars made around the year 2000, not just the Focus or indeed Fords. The problem was that safety regulations had changed to eliminate asbestos from the pads and linings, and brake manufacturers were scrambling to find ways to do without it. Since then, improvements have been made, which is why aftermarket brakes are better than original ones. I replaced my front rotors and pads at about 65000, but I drive mostly in the country and am gentle on brakes.

Ford addressed the problem in the '05 Focus by going to bigger rotors and pads, which required them to eliminate the 14 inch wheel.

Reply to
Dave Gower