power steering fluid top up

Can anyone tell me what fluid they have used to top up power steering reservoir?

I would go to the ford dealer but it is a sunday so it looks like a visit to halfords

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Rob Latus

Mine, a U.S. 2001 LX with the 2.0 L Split Port calls for Mercon automatic transmission fluid.

Just as important as what to add is why you have to add anything at all. If you have to add fluid it means some leaked out. While not as common as some problems, it is not unheard of for leaky power steering racks to occur in the focus. At first there is no sign of a leak because the fluid leaks into the rubber bellows at either end of the rack. Sometimes you can squeeze the bellows and get the fluid to squirt out the ends if enough had accumulated inside. Ford kept doing the "top up" trick untill the leakage became very obvious, at which point they replaced the rack under warranty.

Many

Reply to
Many