Rattle on Focus 1.6 Zetec (1999)

On uneven roads, I get quite a loud knocking rattle from my Focus. It's quite hard to pin-point where the noise is coming from, but its not within the cabin or boot space. Having crawled under the car, I can't find any obvious loose rattley parts! The exhaust was replaced recently (due to corrosion), and the rattle is still there, eliminating the exhaust system as the culprit. I have also noticed that the rattle seems worse when turning right at junctions. If anyone has any ideas of what might be causing the problem, and maybe a possible solution, I would be grateful to hear from you.

Regards,

Chris Howard

Reply to
Chris H

I have simmilar problems - a knock usualy occours when turning right at bigger angles and i hear rattling from the front on uneven terrain especialy noticable when the car is still not warmed up?!

Any ideas?

Focus TDDI (2000)

Reply to
Grafy

In message , Chris H writes

Sounds like one or both of the front anti-roll bar link rods. Are you getting the noise particularly at low speed?

The rods cost about £35 each and are fairly easy to fit. The replacement rods are higher quality than the originals.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thaks for the advice, I'll check the anti-roll bars out at the weekend. My Haynes manual has a section on 'Front crossmember/anti-roll bar links - removal and refitting.' Will it be obvious by looking at them if its the anti-roll bar link rods that are the culprit, i.e. will I be able to rattle them by hand?

Chris H.

Reply to
Chris H

In message , Chris H writes

I'm afraid its very difficult to feel any play in them while they are fitted because the suspension has to be in the position where there is no loading on the links.

When you remove them you can then feel some wear but you wouldn't think that such a small amount of play could create such a noise.

Have a look at the rods which are fitted. If the are plain steel rods like the picture in the Haynes manual (illustration 6.5) then they are the original ones and will definitely be knackered on a 1999 model. If they have been replaced before they will be an alloy construction with a cruciform cross section rather than the circular section of the plain steel ones. These are less likely to have failed.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul,

Many Thanks for the advice.