Ignition technical service bulletin

Hi,

I have a 2000 Focus ZX3. Today it seems I have the ignition problem. The car is in my driveway. I put the key in and can't turn it. I have jiggled the wheel ..the key..everything I could think of.

It is -22C here in Halifax and it is too cold to be out friggin' around with this.

I called CAA...the guy new all about the problem. Since it is Sunday I am not having the car towed to the dealer til tomorrow morning. CAA will cover this cost.

I want to be armed with as much information as possible about this problem. I do have an extended warranty on the car.

I have found a bit of information and am hoping some of you can add to it.

First, there is a TSB (technical Service Bulletin) out on this supposedly...I found a few references. One site states that there is a P05 saying if the car is under six years old and under $75,000 miles this is covered.

At the American NHTSB site I found several references to Ignition issues...the latest one being 02-18-2 from September '02.

If you can add any information please do so I can go into my dealer prepared. My dealer is a pain to deal with usually. I need to always bring them in all the info I can gather before they actually submit to paying up..or doing the work for free.

Thanks in advance...otherwise ..my little car is fun to drive!

toodles

HeatherM

Reply to
Heather Morrison

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Heather.

When my ignition switch went last summer, I took the precaution of obtaining a printout of TSB 02-18-2, while the car was being serviced. Even with my extended service plan and that document in-hand, I had to pay for my repair. Ford of Canada ruled that a failure of the ignition switch is not covered by the ESP, and the TSB doesn't, in any way, suggest this is a common occurrence. We know better, but what can you do? Let us know how you make out.

Rob

Reply to
Specter

Hi Rob,

Yes, I am expecting your circumstance..but I am going to give it my best shot to get Ford to pay.

I will report back my experience.

thanks for the reply

Heather

Reply to
Heather Morrison

Heather. May I further suggest, regardless of the outcome, you make a complaint to Transport Canada. I called them last year. While a failure of the ignition switch isn't deemed a safety hazard, Transport Canada is, apparently, monitoring these failures, and may, at some point, urge Ford to issue a voluntary recall. We can only hope.

Rob

Reply to
Specter

Hi Rob,

Here is the outcome. The day started with CAA coming to supposedly tow the car to my dealership. The guy arrives and asks for the keys. He hops in and puts the key in the ignition...it won't turn. Wham! He slams his hand against it and ..yes..it turned. He knew the problem when he saw it was a focus...go figure! So I drove the car up to the dealership as I had called for the appointment and after reading about this issue online I thought I better have it dealt with.

I get to the dealers and the service guy asks what's wrong. I tell him. He gets in the car and turns it on and off twice. Looks at me and says...doesn't seem to be a problem. So I told him about the TSB etc. and that I wanted it checked out. It was -24C today with a windchill of -39C. I really didn't want to be stranded anywhere.

They keep the car for the morning. I get a call that it is ready. They drilled out and replaced the lock cylinder. I had to pay the deductible on my extended warranty plus tax..for a total of $115.00 Canadian.

Yes, I will contact Transport Canada and I always keep all records of service etc for any vehicle I own. If there is a recall I will be expecting a refund.

Toodles....and thanks for your interest,

Heather

Reply to
Heather Morrison

Well that is good news. Congratulations. In this group's collective experience, it's, all but, unheard of for Ford Canada to cover that repair under the ESP. Could you possibly tell us what level of Extended Service Plan you have? I don't have my ESP info pamphlet in front of me, but I recall there are four levels of protection available. I opted for the second level. Did you opt for something higher? In my pamphlet, the ignition system doesn't even get mentioned until the very highest level of the plan. To my mind, the ignition system is too fundamental not to also be covered at lower levels of the ESP.

I wish I'd had your good fortune. Good on ya!

Rob

-----------------------------

"Heather Morris> Here is the outcome. The day started with CAA coming to supposedly tow the

Reply to
Specter

Heather

It is good that you did your homework, it gave you the ammo you needed with the dealer. Because a rule in general is that if the service department tries 10 times to duplicate the consumer complaint, and can't duplicate it in 10 tries...they deem the car "good to go" and give it back.

-- Dan

2003 ZX5 2.0L 23.3k miles. (32 degrees farenheit here in VA USA :-) "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it" - George Santyana
Reply to
Dan

Hi Rob,

My car has the 2000 PREMIUMCARE plan. It covers up to 72 months or

120,000kms...whichever comes first. I left my pamphlet in the glove compartment of the car...it's -24C out with a windchill of -39C ..sorry ..I am not running out to get it to see the specifics at the moment..*grin*..I am sure you understand. I do remember reading in it last night that the ignition was covered.

For once it seems it was worth it to buy a warranty..*G* I purchased the warranty thinking I was going to have two young people learning to drive this car..and eventually one of them owning it. Neither of my kids want or like to drive. (wierd kids)

Since I got this car and got my first recall I have documented every little tiny thing that has happened to it. I do like driving the car..and for now ..it suits its purpose.

When I went in today I noticed my Dealership was under new ownership. Although I still got a bit of the third degree they were more professional than what I had previously dealt with there. Maybe they were more congenial because they are the new owners and want to win over the old customers.

All I know is ...this is the first "domestic" car I have owned...and very well could be the last considering my service experiences.

Too bad... because the reason I got the Focus in the first place is because I had seen them in Europe two years previous to their arriving in North America (I live in Denmark part-time). They are regarded quite highly in their class over there. As I have come to learn..the are pretty much two different cars between the North American and European models.

I will contact Transport Canada and I do hope there is a recall. If I had been stranded anywhere in -24C with the windchill the way it is...I consider that a safety factor!

thanks for your interest,

Heather

Reply to
Heather Morrison

Dan,

My focus being my first domestic car...and one of the first Foci in our area back in 2000 I have become a mad expert at researching these little beasties before I have to face the dealership. I hate to have to deal with things that way. It's like I always have to prepare to do battle. I don't think my ford dealership really knows what a customer really is. I like my focus but because of having to deal with service I probably will never buy a ford vehicle again.

Thanks for acknowledging my preparedness...you are right..it does pay off.

toodles

Heather

Reply to
Heather Morrison

Man, I wish it were nice and toasty like that here. Right now it is -26C with a wind chill of -38C (you got me beat, there). Tomorrow's high will be -27C (-17F), yee haw! Wind chills predicted to be -50F when I go out to shovel a dab of snow before heading into work in the morning. Glad my ZTW has a block heater...

Reply to
Rapid Rick

LOL Rick,

I use to live up in Northern Canada with regular temperatures like that...it's just damn cold!!!

This weather we are having here in the maritimes is a bit unusual. We will get a day or two like this..on and off in a normal winter .but not a full couple of weeks! So most people don't invest in block heaters in the city. Maybe after this winter they will.

Bundle up and put your toque on!!

toodles

HeatherM

moment..*grin*..

Reply to
Heather Morrison

From your description you have the same problem that I've had twice with my 2000 Focus ZTS: the ignition lock is broken. Mine broke for the second time last week. I had it towed to the dealer. It cost me over $300 to repair.

I have a Web page that describes my experiences with my Focus:

If you find that there is a service bulletin on this, please let me know: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Thanks!

Len Moskowitz Teaneck NJ (USA)

Reply to
LenMinNJ

Hi Len,

Sorry to hear all about your problems. I did mention the TSB in my first post.

"At the American NHTSB site I found several references to Ignition issues...the latest one being 02-18-2 from September '02."

02-18-2 is the Service bulletin. Your dealership should know about it.

My ignition was covered under my extend service plan - Premiercare. If you do not have a warranty on your car apparently Ford won't cover it and it comes out of your pocket.

I would report any issues you have with your Focus to the NHTSB and hopefully there will be a recall and all who dished out will get a refund!

I, too, have a 5 speed and love to drive the car. I hate dealing with service which made the recall experience that much worse.

Interesting documentation of your experience at your website!!

toodles

HeatherM

my 2000 Focus ZTS: the ignition lock is broken. Mine broke for the second time last week. I had it towed to the dealer. It cost me over $300 to repair.

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Heather Morrison

The problem with the ignition lock is not wear, but extremely bad design.

I had 3 replaced under warranty, and when that was over, I decided to take it apart myself to see what was happening.

The problem is that unlike every other lock cylinder in the world, this one does not use the tumblers directly to lock and unlock the cylinder from turning. Instead there is a locking bar at 90 degrees, that the tumblers sort of nudge. So the locking bar can easily stick and bind up.

Tapping on the lock cylinder when the key is in, will often free the locking bar and allow it to turn.

But the only solution really, is to remove the tumblers for now, until they come up with an acceptible lock replacement.

Don't worry, no one can steal the car because they still need the key to activate the transponder.

Reply to
maat333

As long as you can get the cuylinder to turn by tapping on it, there is no need to drill it out. The cylinder is easily removed in the 'on' position, because it is only retained by the nubs on the end spring clip, that line up with a removal trough in that position. So now that it is working, remove the tumblers from it before it locks up again. It will. I am on my 4th new factory warranty replacement already. Don't wait until it will not turn at all, because then it will have to be drilled out again.

Reply to
maat333

Warranty is not at all helpful it they keep going by the book and keep putting in the same defectively designed lock cylinder, like they did for mine, 3 times.

The only solution until you can find a third part better replacement, is to take the tumblers out of the ignition lock cylinder. That is the only way you know for sure the locking bar will never get stuck in the wrong position again.

Reply to
maat333

The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) number is 02-18-02, issued on OCT 02.

But Ford has not fixed the bad cylinder design yet.

Reply to
maat333