Remote control

I'm finding difficulties with my remote control for the doors in wintertime.Sometimes it doesn't function properly,it fails even every now and then.Someone having the same problem???

Pim Luchtmeijer

Reply to
Airmill

Obviously the first thing is to fit a new battery! (CR2032)

If you have done that, try reprogramming it to the car. If you search in this NG you will find lots of posts to help you do it.

If that doesn't help you might have to accept that the remote will stop working altogether. It is a fairly common fault.

A new remote from a dealer, with the programming, will be about 100GBP!

It may be worth reading the recent post titled "Door locks and keys...strange things part 1&2!" for more information.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Always a good idea.

They're available on eBay quite cheap and can be self-programmed following the instructions in your Owner's Manual.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

They often fetch 35-40UKP on eBay, but are only around 45UKP from a dealer.

Assuming we are talking about Europe, the instructions in the handbook do

*not* refer to reprogramming the remote function. They only tell you how to make a PATS transponder key align with the immobiliser to enable you to start the car. (You need two working keys first in order to program a third).

The ability to program the remote part of the key is dependant on the make. Ford have used at least two types, and at least one of those can only be done at the dealer.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Youch! Back when I found two on eBay (US), I think I got them for just under $10 each plus a couple bucks s/h. Admittedly, that may have been back in '02 or '03.

Again, interesting and once again better for those of us in the States. At least for my 2001 Focus, the owner's manual states how to program a remote key fob (to lock/unlock doors, trunk/boot and set off the panic alarm) as well as how to program a new PATS key (assuming you have two already). I think the fobs were programmable regardless of how many (if any) programmed fobs you had.

Thanks.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

ok, here goes my boss will kill me so dont tell anyone

this can be done without any special eqt,first open up the remote assuming the battery is ok look inside there is a soft spongy rubber thing on the left, using a small screwdriver VERY CARFULLY start at the bottom and push up the glass tranponder chip now remove this chip and insert into new remote (after removing the other blank chip by the same way). reassable the remote now thats the pats sorted now to reproggrame. turn the ign on and off 5 times(within 7 seconds)you'll here a chime now press any button on the remote, another chime will be heard (any other remotes press them now) now turn the ign off. thats it done now every reader pays me £100 by paypal......

Reply to
ford_technical_