replace power latch?

Hello,

So I'm having a problem with the power locks on my 2000 Focus SE -- they keep blowing out the fuse. Googling on the problem turns up this helpful tip from an old thread:

"It sounds like one of the latch assemblies is shorting out. The latch assembly has an electrical actuator built-in for the power locks. If you sniff around by each door (latch assmbly) you'll be able to tell which one is shorted, it'll have a burnt electronics smell."

True! Found it. (I had to get it to fire the locks without immediately blowing the fuse, and then the smell was indeed obvious.)

So: how hard is it to replace the latch? Do I have to go to my dealer? Sadly, the car is hitting its first serious maintenance phase after four years of low mileage, and it feels like I'm there all the damn time.

Thanks, Dave Smey Brooklyn, NY

Reply to
Dave Smey