Sat-nav and heated windscreen

Has anybody had any problems using portable Sat-nav (such as Tomtom) in a Focus with a heated front windscreen? Does the metal in the heating elements cause any interference with the signal?

Reply to
Neil McD.

There are some reports of it happening, but it doesn't seem to happen with my TomTom or Navman units. If it does interfere with yours you can always fit an external / active antenna ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

My TT ONE V2 works fine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've not noticed any problem with a TomTom GO 910 - though I usually fix it right at the edge of the screen on the driver's side, where there is a narrow strip without heating elements.

Reply to
Mark Scott

I'm using a TomTom One V2 quite happily in a Mondeo with a heated windscreen. No problems at all, despite what the 'experts' told me before I tried it ;-)

Al.

Reply to
Al

The Garmin Nüvi 350 works just fine in my Focus. I believe that heated windscreens behave much better than heat-reflecting windscreens in this regard.

Reply to
Rolf Egil Sølvik

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Reply to
Neil McD.

Just as an extra just used a PDA (Mitac Mio 168) with TomTom software and whilst a bit slow to get the signal, never lost it after it locked on.

Reply to
Martin J

In alt.autos.ford.focus Neil McD. :

Heated windscreen + sun protection glass (probably default on Ghia?) + Garmin GPS V == zero reception without external antenna

Reply to
Michael Heiming

In message , Michael Heiming wrote

I have an older Tomtom unit working in a Focus with a heated front screen.

Heated windscreens attenuate the signals slightly and older GPS receivers should still work.

Athermic windscreens will block signals from older receivers.

The latest generation of GPS receivers (SiRF Star III GPS etc), which have been on sale in many units for more than a year, are a lot more sensitive and have been reported as working well with an athermic windscreen

Reply to
Alan

"Neil McD." wrote in news:jfidnXSu25 snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

My Garmin Nuvi 660 works absolutely fine in my Focus with heated front screen.

Reply to
Red Squirrel