PDA and heated screen

Hi,

Would a PDA, with GPS fitted, work from within my disco because of the heated screen?

thanks

Reply to
allnewtonyg

I run TomTom on an IPAQ using a Hicom GPS placed on the dash on an HSE P38A with a heated windscreen no problems.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

If you've not yet bought your PDA/GPS, it would be worth finding out which models allow an external antenna to be fitted, just in case. I think they're available quite cheaply (for some models) on eBay.

:) K

Reply to
Kieran Turner

A heated screen has never caused me any trouble with my PDA and GPS receiver. Used my GPS in several different cars with heated screens (inc Disco) makes no difference.

I think its only the heat reflective screens that are fitted to some Renaults (and others) that block the GPS signals.

Liam

Reply to
Liam

The signal to my Garmin GPS is affected by the heated screen, it can still get enough signal to work 99% of the time though.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Never had a problem in my Disco II with heated screen, Bluetooth and GPS mice all work fine on the dash whether the screen is ON or OFF.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

I use a Fortuna Clip-on GPS receiver with bluetooth to a HP2100 PDA. In my RR Classic with a heated screen it will work sat on the dash, but the signal strength is much better with the GPS tucked under the sun-roof blind, where it fits very nicely, and has a better all round view of the sky.

Most of the time on motorways you might not notice the difference, but you will loose the signal earlier with the GPS on the dash when conditions are bad, e.g. town centres or heavily wooded B roads.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

Yes - get a "GPS Re-radiating Antenna" from ebay or something. Should be about £20 - £30.

Have to use one in my TD5 with a heated screen, or the GPS keeps dropping out. Its great now, even aquires a signal from cold in less than a minute.

HTH

Mung.

Reply to
Mungo