02 F250 SD V10

I currently have an 02 F250 SD with a V10. I get 12 - 13 MPG. Are there any tips or enhancements that i can make to increase the MPG? I'm not overly concerned with the mpg otherwise i wouldn't have bought the truck. But it doesn't hurt to ask

TJ

Reply to
TJ25012

Not much. Most solutions people will offer up won't change your mileage at all unless they involve you changing your driving habits.

Things like: Slow starts and stops, no stomping on it...

That low mileage is a big part of the reason I selected the 2005 6.0 Diesel over the V10...

Good luck

Reply to
351CJ

About all you can do is trade it in on a Ranger.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You are right in the ballpark. I've seen 14-15 with mine on occassion, but that was driving nice in the 45-55 mph range for extended periods. Running 70, I get about 12.

You can try the usual tricks like headers and free flowing exhausts and a less restrictive air intake. It would take A LONG TIME to recoup the cost though.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

Damn! How are you getting 12-13 MPG? Is this a standard cab, short bed with 3.73 gears and a manual tranny?

I get 9 on mine '02 SD CC 4wd Long bed with 4.30 gears.. (the 35" tires and lift probably don't help.. heheh)

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Reply to
TJ25012

I'd guess the newer the truck, the worse the mileage too. I only say that because the HP and torque numbers have come up over the years and that can be a negative on the mileage.

My truck has the 4.3 gears and a 5 spd manual. The 4.3 gears really hurt mileage as the speeds climb.

As for tire size, I took a 1 mpg hit (correction factored in) just for jumping one size to 285s.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

What kind of mileage do you get with the 6.0?

: > TJ : >

: :

Reply to
Mellowed

I also have 4.30 gear 5 spd manual and put 285's on as well but that brings the gear ratio to about 4.10 or so, so how does that give you worse mileage? Not being a jerk I just thought that 4.10 would get better mileage than a

4.30. I never understood the bigger tires worse mileage, smaller gear better mileage. please explain. By the way i just saw in the jcwitney catalog a throttle body spacer for 90 bucs this should help on mileage a smidge.

Chris 00 250 SD CC 4.30 5SPD 4X4

Reply to
Aint-Right

15.8-16 around town, 18 or so highway, (not towing).

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

You know, I thought the same thing you did. I was actually expecting a slight increase in mileage since my dad's truck is just like mine except it has an automatic and 3.73 gears and he consistently gets 1-2 mpg better than me. It sure didn't work out that way for me though. The only thing I can figure is the overall bigger-ness (new word!) works against the improvement of overall gear ratio. The new tire is heavier, taller and wider. This new tire is slightly more aggressive too as I went from the Factory Firestones to Pro-Comp A/Ts.

And to think I originally thought that going up to 315s would have little to no effect on mileage due to the improvement in highway gearing......

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

humm. That sounds good to me.

: : > What kind of mileage do you get with the 6.0? : >

: >

: : 15.8-16 around town, 18 or so highway, (not towing). : : Eisboch : : :

Reply to
Mellowed

Well first of all, My truck is a F-450 4x4 crew cab, 6 speed, DRW 4.30 gears. This truck has a 9.5 foot long 8 foot wide flatbed with two 18x18x36 side boxes and weighs in at 10,300 pounds full of fuel (59 gallons) and empty of cargo. The 2005 F-350 SRW configured the same, 6.0-liter, Loaded Lariat etc. weighs in some where around ~7000 pounds.

I have over 15,000 miles on my '05 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel, 10,000 of that towing. Not a hiccup, not a single drop of anything leaking from anywhere. Zero oil consumption. The entire truck has been totally trouble free.

Driving easy without a trailer, mixed around town short highway trips, I am getting between 13.8 and 14.7 MPG each fill up. If I stomp on it all the time it gets 12.5-13.5 MPG. Not as big a difference as I expected between driving easy and not.

Pulling one of 4 different trailers, 5th wheel RV ~9000 pounds, 4 Horse Goose Neck ~7500-15,000 pounds depending on load, 18 foot long extra tall covered Wells Cargo trailer ~4500-10,000 pounds depending on load and a tilt bed flatbed trailer ~4500-10,000 pounds. If I keep it under 60 miles per hour, I'm seeing 11.5-12.5 MPG no mater how I drive and traveling 65-85 MPH I get 10.5-11.5 MPG each fill up. All of this mileage is with windows up and the automatic temp controller on in the warm weather so the air compressor is engaged.

The pulling power is OUTSTANDING. I just pulled a Corvette (3218 pounds) on a tilt bed flatbed trailer (4500 pounds) just under 8000 pounds from Sacramento California to Detroit Michigan east on Interstate 80, and for the most part left it in overdrive on cruse control. When I stomped on it up the hills most rigs had trouble not being left behind. :-)

The best information I can gather, talking about the 2005's is all else being equal, the diesels will see 25%-50% better fuel mileage than the same truck with a gas engine. If you drive above sea level, or do a lot of hill/pass driving, you will notice that the turbo charged diesel does not suffer from that dreaded -10% power loss per 1000 feet of elevation gain that the naturally aspirated gas engines do (thinner air).

I actually seriously considered the 6.8 liter 30 valve 362 Horsepower 457 Torque gas engine when I ordered this truck, I am SO GLAD I decided to go with the 6.0 liter 32 valve 325 Horsepower 570 Torque diesel engine.

Reply to
351CJ

On a recent camping adventure to New Hampshire, my 2005 F350 Powerstroke Diesel got beween 10.8 and 11.2 mpg hauling a 37 foot fifth wheel.

My son, who made the same trip in a 2005 F250 with the V10 gasser got around

7-8 mpg hauling a 30 foot fifth wheel that was a couple of thousand lbs lighter than mine.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

Not with the way gas is headed. If you drive 300 miles per week average and can boost your average from 12MPG to lets say 15MPG, you will save over $650 in a year with gas at $2.50 per gallon.

Razor

Reply to
Razorblade

That mileage sounds correct to me. I hauled a 14,000 lb 5th wheel from Calif to Montreal with a '99 F350CC 4x4 V10 and averaged 8.1 mpg over

8,000 miles. I also had the Banks Power Pac installed. Note, I did try to limit my speed to about 60 mph.

: > THis is far fetched because IF the gas engine is properly geared for : > the load it will not get 5 MPG when the oil burner gets 10 on same : > load. : : : On a recent camping adventure to New Hampshire, my 2005 F350 Powerstroke : Diesel got beween 10.8 and 11.2 mpg hauling a 37 foot fifth wheel. : : My son, who made the same trip in a 2005 F250 with the V10 gasser got around : 7-8 mpg hauling a 30 foot fifth wheel that was a couple of thousand lbs : lighter than mine. : : Eisboch : :

Reply to
Mellowed

Far fetched?? You are comparing 1970's vintage technology with 2005 technology and there is almost no comparison! In this discussion about current diesels you don't seem to know what you are talking about. The gearing between CURRENT gas and diesel Superduty trucks in is not that different. They run the EXACT same transmissions and are available with the EXACT same final axels ratios. (Yes some years and brands may offer a few gear ratios specific to gas or diesel only, but they also offer some gear ratios common to both! )

ALL THINGS being the same, on a 2005 F-350 with the TorqShift 5 speed automatic transmission (Same gear ratio gas or diesel) and 4.10 rear gears the 6.8 liter V-10 Gas engine WILL get less (25-50%) fuel mileage than the same truck with the 6.0 liter V-8 Turbo Diesel engine. To top it off, the diesel will drag a 15,000 trailer up a 6% 7500 foot pass a lot faster and easier than that same gas truck all while getting better mileage. That is a fact, not an opinion.

Reply to
351CJ

I tried a little test. I did slow starts and stops and drove speed limits the whole time. I was able to get over 14mpg closer to 15, so If i take it easy on the starts and hard accelerations, the MPG is a bit better

Reply to
TJ25012

Outstanding! :-)

That is about as good as it is going to get. A few other things that will help are: keeping your tires inflated, I run mine near the max pressure most of the time. Make sure your air filter is clean, when it starts to restrict your air intake it will decrease your fuel mileage.

But it is damn hard to keep from stomping on that monster isn't it? :-)

I have to keep my trucks computer set on the MPG selection so it can keep reminding me not to stomp on it. I have found that if I keep the factory boost gauge under 10 pounds of boost, I get my best fuel mileage.

10 pounds or less of boost makes for pretty easy starts. :-)

Enjoy your truck.

Reply to
351CJ