Convert F250 from V10 to 7.3

I have a '01 F250 4x4 with a V10. I would like to replace it with the 7.3. I know I need to change a lot of things out, computer, transmission, drive line, fuel tank, ect. Has anyone done this or know of anyone who has?

Reply to
Marine2147

You'd be better off just trading trucks. Why do you want to change?

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Sun, 20 May 2007 09:26:26 -0400, Marine2147 rearranged some electrons to form:

It will be much cheaper and easier to sell your truck and get a diesel model.

Reply to
David M

You are correct trading would be a heck of a lot easier. But I have never done anything the easy way. This truck was given to me and I can pick up the 7.3 and transmission for free. Besides, I really like the diesel.

Reply to
Marine2147

Then sell the free truck and use the proceeds to buy one with the motor you want.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Nah, he's got money to burn, and nothing but time, and he's going to need a lot of both. After all there is the fuel tank/s, the fuel lines, water separator, fuel pumps, front springs, engine control wiring harness, ecm, starting system (wait till he sees the price of the starter oh mama) second battery tray, matched batteries, new battery cables glow plug control circuits, new cab wiring harness, the list of things he doesn't have and will have to get just goes on and on. Things is way different then we had mechanical injection systems, gas to diesel conversations where easy back then. I remember back n the 70's when a popular conversion was dumping three cylinder detroits into chevy trucks, cake walk.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Starter? for my '99 it was only $179.00 Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I got that price too, from autozone, but then there is the core charge, cause he aint going to have one so it ends up $330 from AZ. A standard reman starter from NAPA is $195, premium is $259, and one with the selenoid is $279, and all have a $110 core charge. Considering a gas engine starter is only $134 its a bit of difference. The NAPA starter will probably last longer than the az or one from discount. I sure do miss Western Auto.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I miss Western Auto too.

But, I hope the OP decides to do the swap, we need something interesting to talk about in this group for a change. I changed an '81 Dodge truck from 2wd manual trans to 12in. lift and four wheel drive with an automatic once, for a buddy, for free, plus beer. For people with that kind of time, a "project" like the OP is talking about is fun, and is just as much about doing it as the end product.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

With all due respect to the naysayers, go for it man!!!!

We need something to talk about in this group.

Lookin' forward to it.

Keep posting with updates, too.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Well, I always say, if you have to ask about an engine swap on USENET, that's a sign you couldn't do one (it happens a lot, no offense, I'm sure you can do it). Just go ahead and do it, but don't ask any questions about it here. There's something bad wrong if you can't find an easier way to get ideas.

Reply to
Joe

You didn't mention the new front axle assembly, as the V10 F250 came with a Dana 50 and the diesel requires a Dana 60.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

How many miles on the V10? Runs? When I had my V10 F250, I always thought that Ford v10 would be an interesting engine in my Wrangler....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Bingo...

Reply to