16 Year Old Looking For A Bronco

This is kind of a weird question but I'm 16 and looking for a '92-'96 Bronco with a 5.8L 351 Engine. I was looking on automart.com and saw a Bronco with a "351 Engine" (I found out through Ford's Website that if the VIN has the letter H as the 8th number its a 5.8L Engine but if it has the letter N as the 8th number it is a 5.0L Engine) the Bronco I saw a letter N as the 8th number but the owner said it was a 5.8L Engine. I was just wondering if there is anyway other way you can tell if a Bronco has a 351 Engine? I was thinking that particular Bronco might have been in a side collision and the owner bought a new door with a different VIN sticker on it. Does it say What size engine it is on the actual engine or in the engine compartment?

Thanks, Kris

Reply to
Kris Osborn

DO NOT look for the VIN on the doors. The VIN to use is found at the base of the windshield on the left hand side. You can compare any other VIN that you find against this one.

Lift the hood and look at the motor. The 5.8 and 5.0 use different intake manifolds, and are clearly stamped with the displacement. If the intake has been changed, I suggest the vehicle should stay put and never set tire in your driveway.

351ci is the same as 5.8L, 305ci is the same as 5.0L. "CI" is cubic inches, "L" is liter. I don't know what the 8th digit denotes, but I did a VIN search once upon a time, and displacement does not strike me as the meaning of any of the digits.

I _think_ the 5.8L is available with the XLT and Eddie Bauer, the 5.0 comes on the XL.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

PS Get a job, Broncos are very thirsty. I think I got 10mpg in mine.

Also, search autotrader.com.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

One of the letters in the VIN denotes which engine is in the vehicle. I don't recall offhand which one it is.

Reply to
Ted

I just looked it up, the 8th digit denotes the displacement. Sorry for my confusion.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I just looked it up, the 8th digit denotes the displacement. I did not remember that from looking this up a few years ago. I'm sure nothing has changed, I just did not remember right.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My dad's 1982 got about 14... after we threw away Ford's stupid computer and replaced the ignition system with an electronic ignition off a 1978 LTD, well... and a few other mods like...

Ceramic coated Headman headers, high flow mufflers, RV cam, Holley 650 Vacuum Secondary, and polished intake.

Actually the RV cam was on our second rebuild. The first rebuild we went with what's called a 1/4 race cam by Edelbrock.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Not a problem.

Ted