1983 Ford f250 battery dying

I put in a new battery and new terminal clamps. I go to start the truck and I run it for like one minute. When i come back in 4 hours, the battery is completely dead. I know its not the alternator cause i checked that and i dont run it long enough for the battery to get drianed by the motor. (if the alternator was bad). So i need help because i love the truck and i want it to run. Let me know, please!!!! Ted

Reply to
davisdesigns07

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:03:41 -0800, davisdesigns07 rearranged some electrons to say:

How do you know it's not the alternator? A shorted diode in the alternator can drain the battery.

Remove the negative cable, and use an ammeter to measure the current draw. If there is significant current draw, you have a short somewhere that needs to be fixed. First remove the alternator "BAT" terminal, if the current goes away, you have found your problem. If not, start pulling fuses until the current goes away. The last fuse you pull is the shorted circuit.

Reply to
david