1983 Ford Ranger, 2.3 4 cyl, 5 speed manual

Not a bad little truck for the year. I've got 2 issues I hope someone can help with. First is the bad fuel economy. I'm lucky to get 19-20 mpg on the highway and 14-15 mpg in city. Tire pressue is fine, all fluids, belts and hoses check well. I believe the timing is fine as it idles smooth (for a carb engine) and starts fine. Second is that the battey has a slow drain in that if it sits for a few days untouched, I have to boost it. I bought a new battery and the alternator checks well. It starts and charges well if I drive it every day though. Thank you for any and all suggestions

Paul

Reply to
paulxinfinity

Fuel mileage is correct for the year. Battery could be a bunch of things. One check that the glove box light is not staying on. use an amp probe check for amp pull with key off, and disconnect the voltage regulator and see if it goes away. 2.3 was a tuff engine, not a power house for its day, but few mechanical issues. Timing belts easy to replace, Ford says every 60K. If its a standard 2.3 and not the so called "high output" its not a crasher, few trucks got the high output. crasher means if timing belt breaks piston will hit valves. rear brakes undersized, so are the fronts. Hydraulic clutch can be a problem, slave is in side bell housing and if it leaks fluid messes up clutch disk.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I had one, now I have the third Ranger. But my 83 got around

24 highway and 18 city. I had a manual trans. Maybe you got a low rear end?

The alternator sometimes have a diode go bad and it lets the battery drain. You would have to be good at electronics to find it and it doesn't test this when you check it at Autozone, I think.

Put plugs and wires and such, if it runs pretty good don't rebuild the carb, I never had that help mileage.

Reply to
Scott

Ouch. With a new set of plugs (fouled by a tank of bad gas), an intake induction cleaning and a recharge of my K&B high flow air filter all at

34,000 miles my 2003 2WD F150 with the 4.2L V-6 is getting 14.5 mpg city and 18=19 highway (if I observe the speed limit).

Good luck with the battery drain issue. That can be one of those things that drives one to drink.

Reply to
David F. Mishiwiec Sr.