1985 Ford 150 truck

I have a 1985-F150 truck with a 300 CI 6 cyl engine. It has computer controlled carb that seem to be dumping gas into the manifold by the cupfull. To put it bluntly, this truck get lossey gas mileage and won't ideal. I have been told these carbs were just an intrum system to meet pollution requirements until they could get the fuel system converted to fuel injection.

My question is, what can I do to get this engine running better. Is there an older Carb I can use? One that I can rebuild and adjust the fuel/air mixture? Any construstive comments would be appriciated.

Jim S.

Reply to
James S Schrier

You should be able to get a rebuild kit for it. Most likely it's a feedback carter YF one barrel I bet. Look to see if it says carter anywhere on it. If it's a carter, the gas leaking is one of two things most likely. Either the float needle valve and seat are wore out and leaking, or the accelerator pump diaphram is leaking gas. It's probably this diaphram. If it leaks, the gas falls into the pump "pool" area, and then it's able to drip down through a drain hole, and then it dribbles down into your manifold. Overall, these carbs are real easy to overhaul. I had to do mine just the other day. I had a leaking diaphram. Mine is non feedback. Takes me about 15 min to take it apart and put it back together. Being yours is feedback, it *might* have a TPI in it. If so, make sure you don't break the plastic plunger when you put it back together. MK

Reply to
Mark Keith