1992 Bronco Exhaust

Good Evening all,

I recently picked up a 92 Bronco at a real steal. Am working on getting it bck to near 100%..

Here are some questions, maybe a few of you can save me some time and errors..

What size exhaust should be on the 5.8l engine. There is a new Muffler, and Tailpipe on there, but they are only 1.5" Seems to me that they should be larger.

The rear window motor is missing. How do I tell if the wirig harness is working.

Thanks all, We'll start with those.

Glenn May Mass

Reply to
Glenn E. May

Glenn,

From the converter, the exhaust should be 2-1/4in", back to, and out of the muffler. The tailpipe was 2-1/4" out of the muffler, but enlarged to 2-1/2" for the last 20-24 inches behind the right (passenger side) wheel well. Lot's of people stick a cheap exhaust on a vehicle to sell it, some don't know any better, some don't care. Smaller than stock won't allow the truck to breathe. The stock exhaust was adequate, but not optimal.

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thats what I expected. The truck has an odd miss, and seems to have a decreased amount of power. The miss occures after the engine is warm, and is a little difficult to start when it is heated up. When I looked at the exhaust, it is brand new but 1.5" tops I know damn well that the 5.8 needs to breath more than that.

If I am to replace the exhaust, I would rather replace it with something that would allow the truck to breath at it's best. Would I benefit from Dual exhaust, or is that simply a waste of money?

What would be the suggestion? 3"

Thanks Glenn

"Spdloader" wrote in news:U9hXb.11322$% snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

\
Reply to
Glenn E. May

I installed exhaust for years. The best results I saw were from bigger singles. Find a shop that can bend 3" pipe and go with that. The Bronco doesn't do much better with duals, plus you'll get fumes in the rear window from duals.

Good luck man,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Just thought of one more thing. If after you replace the exhaust, you still experience a lack of power, it's possible you have a plugged catalytic converter. Hope not, but that's something to keep in the back of your mind. Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader