Econoline E150 V6

Buying a new van soon and wondering if there is a consensus regarding the reliability/ durability of the 4.6L V6? Is Ford still using the twin I-beam front suspension?

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Twin I-beam is alive and well in the E-series vans. The V6 is OK if you plan on hauling air. If you haul anything substantial, the van will be a real dog - a gas-hungry dog. You'd be much better off with the 5.4. I have both in my fleet as well as the 7.3 diesel. The diesel is my favorite.

Reply to
Nukie Poo

I have a 99 E-250 with the V-6 (4.2 liter). My engine has the oil cooler (holds about 7 qts) and heavy duty trans cooler. Have 148,000 miles and no engine problems. It has decent take off when empty but doesn't pick up speed when loaded.(had it weighed, 5200 lbs empty, it's a cargo van) I carry 2500 to 3500 lbs in it all the time with no problems. Fuel mileage isn't great tho, about 13 with A/C on in the city to a high of 16 hwy no A/C on. My ball joints were history around 85,000 miles and so far have gone thru 3 sets of front brakes and the rears are still original. I'd buy one again but with the 5.4 instead of the V-6 for my purposes (I pull a trailer sometimes too)

Reply to
Sans Nom