1994 Ford Ranger

Hi, i just got a 1994 2WD ranger xlt entended cab. It has the 4.0 and is in great shape. I have a few questions. :) I was wondering how I can tell what transmission, rearend/gearing ratio is in it? I also plan to put in 1.5 inch taller coils in the front, to level it out with the back. Will this alter the steering and other things that I will need to get an alignment? It has P215 75R14 tires on it. Stock is P195 70R14? Would I lose a ton of power going to 31x10.50x15 tires and rims? I wish it was 4WD but oh well. Maybe a detroit locker in the rear? :)

Thanks for any help!

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Leave it the way it is. The diff ratio is on the tag on the rear end.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That may give you positive caster from hell. You might get some fresh stock type replacements to lift a sagging front end about 1/2 or 3/4 inch.

Most came with 225 75 or 70 R14. They are hard to find so most guys just put 215 on them. I doubt it came with 195s. I would get some 15 inch wheels from newer Rangers or Explorers and get either 225 or 235

70 tires.

Yes and I doubt they will fit in your fenders.

I hope you're kidding.

Reply to
Scott

Yeah, I think i may stay with around the same tire size. You dont think a locker in the rear would be good? It would be at least better then an open differential.

Thanks for all the info!

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

this is just MY opinion , positive or lockers are only better in a few cases. one , if you have a hot rod and want to floor it off the line and have both tires smokin. or have a off the paved road truck and know how to drive with them. good choice with the tires the closer to what came on the truck new, the better

Reply to
samstone

Reply to
Shawn

See this website for your rearend ratio:

As for the transmission you have an A4LD according to this webpage:

You will definitely need an alignment if you do that. What I would do is measure from the top of the tire to the fender on both frt and rear of the truck (both sides). Then determine how much you want to go up from there..

All those tires will do is cause you to use more gas, and throw your speedo off.

I am planning on putting one of these in my truck:

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

FYI - With regard to differential:Do I have a limited slip or locking differential(diff)? Jack up both tires. Put the transmission in neutral. Turn one tire. If the other tire spins the opposite direction you have an open diff, and if it spins the same direction you have a limited slip or locking diff.What gear ratio do I have? Jack up one tire if you have an open diff, or both tires if you have a limited slip or locking diff. Put the transmission in neutral. Rotate the tire one full revolution for limited slip and locking diffs and 2 full revolutions for open diffs. Carefully count the number of full revolutions the driveshaft makes. This is your gear ratio. In other words, if the drive shaft turns 3 ¾ turns, you probably have a 3.73 gear ratio. Turning the tire for twice the number of full revolutions and dividing the drive shaft revolutions by two will give you a more accurate reading.

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Seems my first post was garbled - here 'tis again:

[...]

I will try that. Though I will prob stay under a 235/75 R15 tire so I dont think I will need a gear swap. Thanks!

Reply to
Shawn

Yeah, I think I will stay under 235/75 R15 tires. Thanks for the link to the locker! That would be sweet! The truck will still have good gas mileage and be able to do a little bit of off roading. So do you think it would be better to buy a full lift kit? I really just wanted the front up about level with the back. It needs about 4 inches(tho i bet the springs are sagging so maybe 2) Here is a link for a lift kit.

provides clearance for 31" tires, though I dont want to go that tall of a tire. They make a leveling kit thats 2inches that goes on the spring and lifts it. I figured I would just get coils that are 1.5 inches taller, which would work. but if the alignment wont be able to be adjusted, that wouldnt be good. hehe

Shawn

Shawn

Yeah, the tire from the ground to the top is 25" and is a 14" rim. I would like to stay around that size. Going to a 31 would need that big lift.

The lift kit is good because it contains some of the parts to correct steering. I dont want that much of a lift(1.5" over stock is good for me) but if alignment will be a problem, that kit would help? They make the 2" extenders for the coils but dont mention anything about alignment. So I might be safe with the 1.5" taller coil? I was going to be putting some better shocks on it too.(rancho 5000's or similar) I dont like lifting thru any means really, and the reason for me is to make it even with the back.(and i dont want the tire to hit the fender) If I wanted the 31"'s, I would get fenders to accomodate or just cut and put on flares. :) But like pople have said gas mileage and power would go down, unless i did a ring and pinion change. The locker you suggested would really kick some butt so I dont think a huge tire is really needed.

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. I luv places like this. :) (forums, newsgroups, etc)

Shawn

Shawn

Do an interesting test for me. Go measure your tires already on that explorer. I bet you will find they are already about 30" if they are 15's and if they are 14's then they are probably about 25" so going to 31's isnt much of a leap.. LOL

The other thing is, that is a 5" lift kit. Only people who install those are SERIOUS off-roading folks. I would find something in the relm of 2-3" and leave it at that. If you want to increase clearance on the trail then the biggest change would come from tire height.

Ford Tech

The issue is the front end design. Raising the front end using just springs or spacers causes radical positive camber changes, just as sagging springs can cause negative camber changes. There are "eccentric" ball joint bushings that will allow adjustment. You may be able to compensate for the change caused by a 1.5 inch lift.. The rear of an empty pick up truck is supposed to sit higher than front end, it levels out when a load is placed in the bed. Its by design, its a truck.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Yeah but I never haul ot tow anything. :) I am not sure on the front end. I might just buy some cheap shocks and maybe stock coils for now and buy that full lift kit later.

Reply to
Shawn

If you never tow or haul anything, why buy a truck?

Reply to
Steve Barker
99% of the time I dont haul anything. I go camping once a year so it will be good for that. A friend wants to go trail riding(slow trails) which it should be fine with a locker.(he has a 4x4 incase I get stuck) I also have sometimes needed a truck and didnt have it. I also dont like cars. :)

Reply to
Shawn