Ranger 2002 XLT 4.0 is making loud... "tire noise"??

Hello,

Last December, I wrinkled the right front and right rear fenders when I bounced off a guard rail. The frame was bent a little, a "diamond" the tech told me. In braking and driving, it went straight, so I decided not to spend the bux to fix it. Now, nine months and 9k miles later, there seems to be increasingly loud noise from the front end. It could be from the mid or rear, too. But the sound seems to be from the front. The noise sounds like tire noise, that is, no gear or metal grinding. Just the roar of the road.

I could be mistaken, and the noise is little changed in volume. Maybe I'm finally getting annoyed by it?

The truck has had light use, 3k a year until last year. Now it's up to

25k total miles.

No strange or unexpected tire wear. Any suggestions how to check for trouble?

Thank you

JB

Reply to
Jim Blanton

"Jim Blanton" wrote: ( Ranger 2002 XLT 4.0 )

I bounced off a guard rail and I wrinkled the right front and right rear fenders. The frame was bent a little, a "diamond" the tech told me. In braking and driving, it went straight.

Now, 9k miles later, there is an increasingly loud noise from the front end. ( It could be from the mid or rear, but it seems to be from the front. It sounds like tire noise, that is, no gear or metal grinding. Just the roar of the road. No strange or unexpected tire wear. Any suggestions? _________________________________________________

Maybe one of these:

Bottom door weatherseal fell out. Doors not completely closed. Tires cupping. Fan clutch stuck. Muffler cracked. Exhaust parts touching floor.

Good luck.

Rodan.

What is a "diamond"?

Reply to
Rodan

Did either tire hit the guard rail?

Did you have the alignment checked?

It sounds like way too new of a truck not to get it fixed right.

Why would you ignore a bent frame?

Reply to
Scott

There were allot of problems (humming noises) associated with the stock Goodyear tires on that truck. On my 2002, the noise started at about 15k, and kept getting worse. The dealer put in new front wheel bearings. No good. I did an internet search and found allot of threads on the tire problem The NHTSB web site also documents the problem. I put on a different brand tire and the noise stopped. Hammonassett Ford in Madison ct ( a plug for their service dept.) got me a partial rebate. Possibly you could borrow 4 different tires on rims and see if there is a difference.

Reply to
Mark Schofield

Reply to
Mark Schofield

I ignored a bent frame because the service tech told me it was off by very little. It drives fine, and I did not want to spend the $$ to get it straightened.

I think I should get the alignment checked, and consider a different set of tires.

Thanks, JB

Reply to
Jim Blanton

Thank you for the suggestions.

Reply to
Jim Blanton

Mark,

I think I should get the alignment checked, and consider a different set of tires.

Thanks, JB

Reply to
Jim Blanton

His frame is now in the shape of a diamond, not a rectangle.

Reply to
Bill P.

Your description sounds exactly like my Probe a couple years ago. Sounded like tire noise only the tires looked fine. It gradually grew worse. Like you I had trouble locating the sound exactly. I finally took it into a tire shop to have the problem dealt with thinking I would be buying new tires. Turned out to be a front wheel bearing.

I know a Probe is not a truck. But if it helps; Something to think about anyway.

Reply to
columbotrek