1995 Bronco 4X4 3.58 L Engine

Questions:

  1. What is the EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor? What does EGR stand for? What does the Electronic Valve Position sensor do?

  1. If this EGR thingy is kaput would it cause rough idling/backfiring driving when engine is cold?

  2. does the TAB do? (Thermactor Air Bypass solenoid)

  1. Would the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT) cause rough idling/backfires driving when engine is cold?

  2. If none of these guys are the problem......any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Zeitsev

||Questions: || ||1. What is the EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor? What does EGR stand for? Exhaust gas recirculation. Injects a small amount of exhaust gas into the intake stream to reduce NOX.

||What does the Electronic Valve Position sensor do?

Tells teh ECM whether the EGR valve is open or closed.

||2. If this EGR thingy is kaput would it cause rough idling/backfiring ||driving when engine is cold?

Yep. Causes a lean mixture.

||3. does the TAB do? (Thermactor Air Bypass solenoid)

Thermactor is the air injection pump. Air is pumped into the exhaust ports to encourage post-cylinder burning of excess hydrocarbons.

||4. Would the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT) cause rough ||idling/backfires driving when engine is cold?

Yes.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Thanks. And rats! Which one would you replace first?

Reply to
Zeitsev

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 00:27:32 +0000, Zeitsev rearranged some electrons to form:

Rather than shotgunning it, why don't you pull the codes and let the computer tell you what's wrong ?

Reply to
David M

You do mean a 5.8 liter or 351 cubic inch engine right? I was unaware the Ford Put a 3.58 liter engine in any Broncos...

Reply to
351CJ

Oops. Yes, I meant 5.8L. Must've gotten a little trigger happy. I think it converts to 353.87 so thats close enough for the military. :o).

Reply to
Zeitsev