1996 Ranger 4wd problem

My Ford Ranger with 45k miles is having difficulty getting into 4wd. Sometimes it goes right in but usually, it takes a while (a minute or so) and it seems as if it isn't really fully engaged as I get an occasional clunk like gear teeth slipping to the next tooth. Eventually, it seems to settle down. (It seemed to do this last summer as well so it's probably not due to cold weather.)

It also seems slow to disengage and I usually have to back up to get everything back to 2wd.

It has auto hubs and a switch on the dash. The indicator light goes on as if it was engaged.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Tom

Switch to manual hubs.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@spammotel.com wrote: My Ford Ranger with 45k miles is having difficulty getting into 4wd. Sometimes it goes right in but usually, it takes a while (a minute or so) and it seems as if it isn't really fully engaged as I get an occasional clunk like gear teeth slipping to the next tooth. Eventually, it seems to settle down. (It seemed to do this last summer as well so it's probably not due to cold weather.)

It also seems slow to disengage and I usually have to back up to get everything back to 2wd.

It has auto hubs and a switch on the dash. The indicator light goes on as if it was engaged.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
pj