problem with 4wd in 84 CJ

I purchased an 84 CJ7 this past summer and at the time of purchase I tested the 4wd and it seemed to work fine. I have not attempted to use the 4wd until today, as we have a large snow in the forecast so I thought I would test it out.

Here is what is happening. When I turn the hubs for 4wd I can't get any movement. It feels as if the front wheels are locked up. This happens with the shifter in both 2wd and each of the 4wd modes. When I shift the lever I can feel what appears to be an engagement; however, it seems as if the front wheels are locked.

Is there anything I can try to do to fix this? Please note, I am not a mechanic, but am good at following directions.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
fsgolf

How are you determining that the wheels are locked up? Do you have it jacked up? Try leaving the hub selectors in the 2WD position and put the shift lever in 4WD. If the front wheels can move, have someone look to see if the front drive shaft turns as you slowly roll the Jeep (not on a jack at this point). Report back on your findings.

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Try to lock in the hubs with someone driving the CJ in reverse veeeeerrryyyy slowly, then get your hubs greased and wheel bearings re-packed with grease.

Carl

Reply to
Carl