1998 Ranger Ball Joints

Hi all,

How will I know if these need replacement? I've noticed a slight vibration or intermittent noise at slower speeds for about the past

10,000 miles (I'm at 71,000 now). The other day a guy at the shop suggested that the ball joints should be replaced "soon." I assumed this is what I've been hearing. Is this just an attempt to sell me something?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
greke

Take it back and have him measure the travel on the balljoint. Every balljoint has some verticle movement, some vehicles allow more than others in their specs. Blazers are horrible. Their lowers are allowd an eighth of an inch of movement. Here in Pennsylvania, a PA State Safety Inspection Mechanic must have a dial indicator to check balljoint runout. I have a list of acceptable measurements at the shop, but you can find that list at MOOG site.

A bad balljoint typically will not show too many symptoms. Sometimes, when turning you may hear/feel a clunk, usually when turning and backing up.

If your balljoints are bad, you should have them replaced, and then have the vehicle aligned. Your tires will thank you.

Reply to
djdave

Thanks Man. Had this done yesterday and my tires are already humming "thank you. . ."

Reply to
greke