2001 F150

Hello, I am wondering if there is something wrong with my brakes. Yesterday I was out driving and it was snowing, when I use the brakes (with a bit of force) I could head a grinding noise under the foot pedal and also the pedal seemed to be pushing back at me. Is this some kind of abs stuff or is there something wrong with the brakes. Thanks Waylon

Reply to
Waylon

It is your abs, it is very noticeable on the ford trucks compared to some vehicles. you will also notice if it kicks in at night your lights will dim down a lot.

Reply to
Hawk

ok thanks

Reply to
Waylon

Yes, it was your ABS. Without having experienced the chattering of the pedal, it appears you would have been unaware that one of your wheels lost traction when you stepped on the brakes. Please consider that you were doing something that you should not have been doing in order for this to occur. Please be more careful in the future.

Reply to
Tyrone

The grinding noise was the electric solenoid controlling the ABS valve. It happened because you were on a slick surface, and the ABS was working properly. It can also happen on gravel, or loose dirt. You probably didn't do anything wrong, but driving slower over slick surfaces will prevent it.

Good luck!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

yes mommy

Reply to
Jerry Fatboy

When your driving in a foot of snow and it is very icy underneath the abs tends to kick in from time to time when braking, doesn't mean he is doing something wrong at all. Hell I was driving slow to work this morning because of the ice and the abs kicked in several times when I came to a stop.

Reply to
Hawk

I agree it's normal in sloppy weather to have the ABS activate , I got a few foot massages the other day driving in that storm in my truck too.

Reply to
Mikey

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE!

Reply to
Tyrone

He was only poking a little fun. Read your post. It *does* seem a bit, shall we say, preachy.

I was thinking more like, maybe the truck should issue your warning through the stereo. "Your door is ajar". "You're using the brakes incorrectly"... etc. :)

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Sorry, I wasn't trying to preach. I didn't really mean he was doing something wrong. All I was trying to point out was that he was not aware that he was losing traction until he felt the ABS kick in. In reality, he should be able to sense the loss of traction before he feels the ABS go into action.

Reply to
Tyrone

backtracking and being a wimp won't change the fact that you used a immature response to a joke.

Reply to
Jerry

I think the guy just needs somebody to discuss the feel and action of an ABS. It's been a long time since I owned one, so I can't help much, but just before my wife left with it (yippee she friggin left!;) I was about to disconnect the ABS piece of crap. :/ ('93 S10 blazer)

This area (desert, poor, rural) has dirt and sand in certain spots on the paved roads especially near the intersections and the friggin ABS would get you in a wreck (or just in the ditch here).

Besides I know how to use brakes, I didn't need a mindless electric system to help me with it. As far as I'm concerned, those things suck. :/

Alvin in AZ (ex-dirt bike, dunebuggy -and company pickup driver;)

Reply to
alvinj

I just visited the folks back in Mn. over Thanksgiving. While there, I drove my dad's '80s Crown Vic.

Got some snow Wed. night, and when I went to leave a parking lot, the car lost traction. I was going only about 1mph, barely touching the brakes, and I couldn't tell if I was sliding, or coasting for a couple of seconds. Of course, when I started to approach the street, and hadn't lost

*any* speed, I sort of got the idea. :)

Just goes to show that you can't always tell. Had a great visit though!!

Jim

Reply to
Jim