preparing to purchase

hi group, im in the market for another work truck and im interested in an f350 crew cab 4x4 (single rear wheel) with the diesel and automatic transmission. i dont much care for the newer body style so im looking at '96/'97 models. im wondering if there is anything i should know, or any common problem areas that i should look for when shopping around. are there any significant differences such as improvements in one year over the other? how well does the automatic stand up to the diesel engine? how is the powerstroke for longevity/durability? any advice, tips, and comments are appreciated.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Try here:

John

Check the coolant additive on a used diesel. Look over on

for more info. Even if the level looks good on a test strip you have no idea how it has been maintained in the past. Low additive over a long period of time will do serious engine damage. I wouldn't buy a used diesel unless I knew the previous owner and how they maintained it.

Reply to
Chris Hill

i realize the severity, but is it really that common? thanks,

Reply to
Nathan Collier

There are other indicators that you can look for to answer adjust your comfort level. I bought my latest PSD from a County Police officer. His residence was immaculate. Lawn well manicured. Had two beautiful muscle cars in the garage. The truck had 84K on it and was pristine. I went over it with a fine toothed comb. I could only find one tiny nick in the paint. The engine compartment and the underside of the truck and his other vehicles were virtually spotless. Under the bedliner, the truck was like new. His Harley was a 10 years old and in mint condition. His 4 year old back county boat looked brand new. This guy was an absolute fanatic and had logs and receipts on all maintenance that was ever performed on all of his toys including the truck. The truck also had a new set of BFG All Terrain TAs with less than 1,000 miles on them. He gave me his coolant test kit. The coolant tested good. The truck is now up to 125K miles now and the only problem that I have had was having to replace the power window operator on the passenger side and I just installed a new set of BFGs this month. If you run into a guy who's truck and other possessions look like this guy's stuff, you might expect that he treated the truck pretty much the same.

Reply to
Tyrone