2003 F150 Park Brake shoes

Hi

Yesterday I had my truck in for oil change and inspection. They advised that the park brake shoes on the rear needed replacement (veh has discs on rear but drum for the park brake). As it only 2 years old with 42000 km (26000 mi) and as these brakes only are used when the vehicle is stopped (ie little or no wear), I questioned the fact that they could be worn out. The mechanic at the dealer advised the shoes weren't worn (they had almost their full thickness left) but that they were separating from the metal. Apparently the bonding was letting go.

I had to replace the shoes. They refused to cover this under warranty, saying brakes aren't covered. I argued that I can understand this with normal wear brake pads/shoes however in my opinion this was a manufacturing defect - it had nothing to do with wear. The mechanic advised that "this happens all the time - they have to be replaced every couple of years."

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did your dealer cover it under the warranty?

Keith

Reply to
Keith

(veh has discs on rear but drum for the park brake)

What !!??

Reply to
Rudy

That's right. Behind the disc rotor there is a drum that contains the shoes for the park/emergency brake. When you apply the park brake - mechanical via cable - the shoes engage against the drum. That's the design of the 2003 F150, don't know about others.

My question was: "have others had the same problem with shoes separating from the metal?" The mechanic said this is a common problem. I'd like to know if anyone has been successful in getting it fixed under warranty.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Had to have them done on my truck at 98K. I thought the entire setup is kind of strange, but the best one is when they told me they have to pull the axle to change them. Has to be a better design than that.

Reply to
respk