Brake controller harness & factory 7 pin plug

I just purchased an '05 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 SLT w/4.7 L, 3.92 rear. I tow a popup camper and have a question about the brake controller harness and factory 7 pin trailer plug.

The truck did NOT come with the factory tow package so all I have is the flat 4 connector under the bumper. I've heard that the brake controller plug is under the dash near the brake pedal. When I look there I see a wiring block near the emergency brake pedal with a blue 4 pin plug. Is this the brake controller harness?

Since I have the flat four, can I purchase a factory 7 pin harness and if so does it simply plug in somewhere under the truck? I have no problem wiring up the 12V and brake line if need be - just wondering if the the truck was pre-wired for the 7 pin plug already.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

That's it.

It may be, but only back to the splice box on the rear of the frame. Download the wiring diagrams from

for specifics on the wires, splice locations, etc.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Don't know if they're similar, but I have a 2004 Dakota without the tow package. On mine, the 4 wire connector under the dash had all the wires I needed to connect to the Protege Dodge adapter, but the blue wire did not go all the way to the rear. On mine, it went to a connector just behind the left front tire on the wheelwell, a multiple wire connector that had more wires going into it than coming out of it. (I assume if you had the tow package, a different wiring harness would have been run from the front to the rear with the blue wire included). I simply ran a blue wire from the connector on the wheel well to the rear 7-pin tow connector and the brakes work fine. If you get the plug-in adapter from Protege, then you don't have any additional wiring under the dash, just plug one end in the brake controller and the other in the flat 4 brake controller connector that Dodge supplies under the dash (mine actually had a tag that said "brake"). On the rear, you will need a 7-pin plug, but will also need to run the blue electric brake wire as noted above. Some 7-pin plugs are designed to plug into the 4 wire plug at the rear, so you have those 4 out of 7 wires connected simply by plugging it in. The blue wire will be the 5th wire of 7, and you'll have 2 slots left for future use; one for charging the trailer battery, and I can't recall what the other one is, but I don't use it on my pop-up. A previous poster showed a link to Dodge wiring. That's what I used to find where my wires ran.

John

Todd wrote:

Reply to
JPH