6.0L&7.3L Diesels?

Why did Ford drop the 7.3L engine?

Reply to
Brian

I believe that it was EPA regulations.

Reply to
Mellowed

My understanding is that the 7.3 could not pass new EPA regs.

Reply to
pdb

"Brian" wrote

The Ford 7.3 L PSD engine, a slightly modified International (Navistar) T 444E and will continue to be available under the latter designation as one of the more popular and reliable LD/MD Truck engines. In fleet operations it has shown consistently minor wear and no major repairs when opened after 300

000 - 500 000 of accumulated service miles. But today, the 7.3L / T444E may have also reached the final stretch of its development. General Motors with its new Isuzu based Duramax was going to steal the show and forced probably the issue for Ford . For a number of reasons, incl. competitiveness, weight, manufacturing cost etc, Navistar/ Ford found it more advantageous to start from scratch with a lighter weight, 4-valve head engine design. The "old" design 7.3L 2 valve OHV is not too "comfortable" above 2600 RPM. In fact, the T 444E maxes out at 250 HP at 2400 RPM with a speed governor set at 2600 RPM! Compare this with the new 6.0-liter Power Stroke® Diesel with 4 valves per cylinder: 325 HP @ 3,300 rpm.

Regarding EPA rules, the 7.3L was and is IMO not in any danger. The present model was years ahead in meeting the 2004 rules and further development of EGR and particulate filters is a reasonable assumption.

One of the claims made for the new 6.0L engine is slightly lower maintenance cost over lifetime and therefore higher ROI (Return on investment) The future will teach whether this holds true.

Reply to
Hanna Lahy

(Navistar)

operations it

Navistar/

development of

It's highly unlikely that a 3,300 rpm diesel will have a lower incidence of repairs than a 2,600 rpm one.

Reply to
Baghdad Bob

"Brian" wrote

According to one usually well informed source - but not verified by me - Ford began to use the new design injector, part# 3C3Z-9E527-AE on 17 April

2003. Ford, however may have continued to build new 6.0 engines with the old fuel injector until 03 May 03. Since then Ford used the new fuel injectors in all new engines.
Reply to
Hanna Lahy

engine. Both

You may believe what you are saying or what they are telling you. However, it is not the case. Take the workhorse of the industry Detroit.GM 671. In a straight naturally aspirated version it starts somewhere around 130 hp. It can be beefed up with a turbocharger and other little niceties, including jacking the rpm up, all the way to 585 hp. In a marine environment, the original motor will last almost indefinitely. If you get 2000 hours out of the performance engine, consider yourself lucky. A diesel engine just plain was never intended for high rpm. If you would like to look at the worlds largest and most powerful diesel engine go to:

It will absolutely blow yourmind. Just under One hundred and Nine Thousand HP at 102 rpm. 1660gallons per hour fuel consumption. 38" Bore X 8'-2" Stroke. Give thepage time to load all of the pictures. It is well worth the wait.

Reply to
Baghdad Bob

(crankshaft

A diesel engines longevity is based in the mass of it's design. You may turn 4700 rpm on your Mercedes from time to time but you don't cruise at that rpm. A gasoline engine with it's lighter weight is a better configuration if you intend to consistently run at high rpms.

Reply to
Baghdad Bob

Well I'm impressed!! The photos are great. I thought I've seen some big diesels, but....

5million ft/lb torque at 102rpm?....awesome!! Wonder how that is measured? Really big dyno? Or calculated.....

I suppose that once that thing is all assembled in a ship, you could walk around inside the crankcase....empty of the oil of course.

Mind-blowing is a good description....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt