79 F150 trans upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my trans in my 79 4X4. I put a new converter in when I had my engine out, and it is horrible. A TCI saturday night special, recommened to me. You step on the gas and it takes alot to get it to shift or get going. When I rip out the trans I'd like a 4 speed/overdrive. I have a c5 right now but I need a higher gear for highway(this is my work truck,and gas milage is bad)I don't want to go stick, what type of auto would swap in with minimal problems. Also I've been thinking about lowering my gears in the axles, so I would loose highway milage unless I got a overdrive.. Any help would be great. Mike

Reply to
trimmermon

ah, yes...........TCI.................Taking Cash Indiscriminately............sold you a 'high-stall', didn't they ?

how did it get a C5 in it ?

C5's didn't come out till 1982

what engine ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

To TranSurgeon It's a 351M engine, and a c6 trans...sorry about that, still learning what is in it. Alot of surprises as I've been working on it, Had it 3 years now. I'm ready to get the body done and painted. But the trans thing is killing me while driving it. Any suggestions would be great. Mike

Reply to
trimmermon