79 F350 - brake comments

Hey guys, I'm rebuilding a Dana 60 front end out of a '79 F350 4x4. The parts are rusted pretty bad, so I'm going to end up rebuilding/replacing almost everything. While taking this apart, I was initially impressed with the size of the dual piston brake calipers - they're huge!

Then I had a heck of a time getting the other half of the brake brackets off - the part that holds the outer side brake pad, that slides (or is supposed to slide). Those shims were stuck in there pretty good, and took quite a bit of pounding to get them out. This design would appear to be prone to siezing up - so you'd only wear out one pad on the caliper side. I'm not that experienced with Ford stuff, so maybe some of you here on the list would know - is this a known/common problem for these brake brackets to sieze up?

If so, is there a fix, or should I look into some aftermarket brakes for this project?

SuperDave

Reply to
SuperDave

Very much so.

Clean the rust off, lube the slides with something that won't wash off in the first rain.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Yes if proper precautions arent taken.

Anti-Sieze compound would probably work best.

Reply to
pkurtz2