80 F250 gas tank sender

I just got a 1980 F250. The rear tank is still there but the tank under the belly had been removed. I am thinking of removing the switch-over valve on the gas line. (Any problems here?) The wires to the remaining tank was unplugged but replugging still don't make the gauge work. "Haynes" has no instructions on testing either the gauge or sender unit! (Any Help here?)

Reply to
Barney

Barney had writtennews:Xns9518A4837A984shantydespamedcom@130.133.1.4: (Any Help here?)

Perhaps you guys can put me onto a site that may be more inlight on the subject. I tried a search but ended on vendor sites.

Reply to
Barney

I'll take a stab at it, the sending unit should read continuity on your OHM meter indicating that it works.

By moving the sending unit float up or down should change your OHM read out on your meter

Removing the inline fuel switch is not a problem, there are two lines going to the fuel tank.

One supply line to the engine or maybe first the electric fuel pump ( and filter ) there is also a return line

The two lines are a differant diameter so indentifying each should not be a problem.

Also the fuel line going to the filter is your high pressure supply line.

Just plumb into your first fuel tank elimateing the one you no longer use.

I myself recently broke down on the highway, we have a two tank system one a f150 with a 5 litre engine.

Each tank has an internal fuel supply pump plus one high pressure electric fuel pump frame mounted.

I unhooked the fuel lines from the switch added a few extenstions with a outboard ball pump primer to a five gallon gerry in the box of the truck. to get us home.

With my jerry being higher elevated there was no need for the internal fuel supply. The system worked flawlesly on gravity feed once I had primed it with the inline ball primer.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Gill Elmgren

"Gill Elmgren" had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

It sure does Gill. Thank you. The 1980s were still on a carb. I found the line and the one to the center tank had been crimped off as that tank is removed already. My concern was someone switching over thinking the switch was part of the heater control. The continuity check will show me if the float is working and you have helped me there as well. I will be doing that tomorrow, I hope. The truck is my first Ford I own and delighted to tinker with it.

Thanks again Barney

Reply to
Barney