87 F-150 4 speed Won't Shift gears easy and makes noise

I installed a new clutch not to long ago and now it wont shift gears easliy. When I back out of my drive way it makes the hissing and squeling sound. When I go to shift to first to go forward it wont let me in the gear very easliy. I have to really press the clutch to the floor and push hard on the stick. This hissing noise like a rattle snake is only happining in reverse and when the car is cold when the clutch is pushed in. Any ideas?

-Ben It is also making this whizzing sound whenever I shift from gear to gear. Once I get in the gear though its nice and solid. The clutch is also VERY tight and I have to cram it agaisnt the floor to shift. Sometimes that doesnt even work. I have to turn the truck off and then shift to first and then turn it back on. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help!

Reply to
Ben Witek

It sounds like you have a bad pressure plate or you installed something wrong.

Reply to
Rob Munach
. 87 F-150 4 speed Won't Shift gears easy and makes noise Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Wed, Oct 1, 2003, 4:54am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@pagepath.com (Ben=A0Witek) I installed a new clutch not to long ago and now it wont shift gears easliy. When I back out of my drive way it makes the hissing and squeling sound. When I go to shift to first to go forward it wont let me in the gear very easliy. I have to really press the clutch to the floor and push hard on the stick. This hissing noise like a rattle snake is only happining in reverse and when the car is cold when the clutch is pushed in. Any ideas?

-Ben It is also making this whizzing sound whenever I shift from gear to gear. Once I get in the gear though its nice and solid. The clutch is also VERY tight and I have to cram it agaisnt the floor to shift. Sometimes that doesnt even work. I have to turn the truck off and then shift to first and then turn it back on. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help! ...

Ben,

1) Pilot bushing / bearing, input shaft bindup 2) Release bearing 3) Scarred Bearing Retainer 4) Improperly installed clutch set 5) Combination of any of the above

personally.....I'm thinking 2 and 3........along with 1........as a direct result of 4......which I guess would arrive me at 5

My guess's, based on your symptoms and the information given about the vehicals repair history, and the failure to see any reference to the symptom as being present BEFORE (?) the clutch set was installed.

could be something else.....but those are those most likely "IF" the symptom wasn't present before the clutch set was changed.

respectfully, Scrib Abell ~:~freek'n clutch expert~:~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Ben Witek, decides to chip in.

Sounds like a bad or broken throw out bearing or misalignment clutch and pressure plate. Did you use a clutch alignment tool?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

How would he have got the trans back in without the disk being aligned?

Reply to
Rob Munach

What kind of transmission fluid did you use? In my 1990 F150 5 speed, when I changed the clutch, I put in 80w90 gear oil. It made my truck shift REAL hard. Sometimes you would have to shut the truck off to get it in gear. I found out from a friend at a Ford dealership that most of the 4 speed and 5 speed transmissions from that era (87-96) take Dexron III/Mercon automatic transmission fluid... Later... Grant Speed Kills...Drive a Honda, live forever...

Reply to
Forcefan83

If you have the tranny with granny gear gear lube is correct not ATF

Reply to
Snowseeker

Amsoil? :)

What I've done is used a milky looking, high teflon content oil that was made in Holland for manual transmissions as an additive (mid

80's).

AmZoil was on the label when I put it in;) and later added the teflon stuff and at 200K had the transmission rebuilt and the guy asked me a couple times "are you sure this transmission has that many miles on it? Looks more like 50 thousand at most"

The teflon you can feel and hear a difference in it (quieter) with in a few miles.

According to my '75 Ford service manuals 10W-50 motor oil is the same viscosity as 80W-90 gear oil. Different numbers because of different test perameters? And they are interchangable for use in the manual transmissions. What I think they had in mind there tho the substituting with 10W-50 engine oil is ok but not the best.

They also also recommend "changing the oil everyday when operating in water" which I take that to mean, if you are driving in water that's up to the doors. Nope they didn't leave out changing the axle/s oil and frony wheel bearing grease too. :)

Alvin in AZ ('75 F150, Warner T-18 4 speed)

Reply to
alvinj

Throwout bearing sound like it's going bad. It happens.

Reply to
rokkinhorse

Recently I pull the shifter to the second gear channel and pump the clutch un till it lets me into second and then I slide up into first. I think its the throw out bearing. I installed the clutch right. Did'nt do the bearing casuse the place didint have it in stock. Last time i ever do that again. Its like filling your wind-shield fluid and not checking the oil.

-Ben

Reply to
Ben Witek