88 Bronco II won't start

Well, I got a 88 bronco II, 2.9 V6 EFI 2 wheel drive that has been sitting in the garage for a long long time now. She stopped running one day and I tried to fix her but finally gave up and got another car. Now this car had similar problem and it turned out it was a crankshaft position sensor. This problem got me back out in the garage to look at the bronco (which doesn't have a CPS, I looked).

Basically, my Bronco started running really ragged one day and stalled on me several times. I started with the basics, plugs & wires, oil change etc. Still not wanting to run really I took her to the shop and they hooked her up to diagnostics and said the... can't remember what it was called now, but it was inside the distributor. Not the rotor (which I did change BTW) but some sensor, which I replaced. TFI maybe it was? Still running really poorly I adjusted the timing, going so far as to pull the distributor, do the whole setting of the TDC without any success. She was still running very roughly and then just died (I was on parkway doing about 50 and she stopped dead in her tracks, $140 for the tow home). Now all she will do is just take up room in the garage. The engine will turn over but will not fire at all. If I use starting fluid, she will grumble a tiny little bit but not enough to say she was actually firing. I replaced the fuel filter next without success. Thinking it may be fuel pump, I released pressure and disconnected the line at the filter and gas came out (I'm assuming if the pump wasn't working, the line would not have gas in it, I may be wrong however!)

As of now I have completely run out of ideas, and I can only hope it is some sensor somewhere. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

--ScareCrowe

Reply to
ScareCrowe

ScareCrowe,have you replaced the TFL module? I have an '85 Ranger that just died on me going down the road. Replaced the TFI module (it's on the outside of dist), started right up. HTH

Reply to
Louie

Yeah actually that was one of the first things I tried. The only original parts left of the distributor are the shaft and outside casing now ;). I think I am just going to have to break down and get it towed to the shop. Hate to spend the cash, but this truck is just too fun to let it rot in the garage!

Reply to
ScareCrowe

OK, guy. Sorry, that was the only thing that immediately came to mind. And that should of been a '85 Taurus instead of Ranger. Been having a little trouble with it and it was on my mind. Good luck!

Reply to
Louie