89 F150 ignition problem

Ford truck electronics experts. Have a 89 F150 , V8, port injection with TFI-!V ignition system. Truck came with no spark. Found PIP sensor NG and replaced. Truck has very good spark now, however with the Spout inline connector plugged in there is no spark. Truck always starts with Spout disconnected. Sometimes plugging in Spout connector, EEC takes over engine control but as soon as the throttle is opened the engine quits, no spark. When I unplug ths Spout connector it always starts. I talked with a guy who rebuilds EEC's and he never heard of such a problem. I took the EEC out to examine it, looks like water got into it. Power transistors w/ heat sinks located at the bottom of the unit are corroded. pc board looked OK. Unit is on it's side behind left kick panel. Ignition module checks out very good. HELP, Thanks John snipped-for-privacy@hawaii.rr.com

Reply to
Ropert's Aloha

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:33:58 +0000, Ropert's Aloha rearranged some electrons to form:

Bad TFI module would be my guess. "corroded" heat sinks would not necessarily cause a problem.

Reply to
David M

I'd; Verify the EEC grounds, those things were lousy for ground problems back then. Single pig-tail at the battery negative.

Verify that the timing chain hasn't jumped.

Verify that the distributor is installed correctly, #1 cap terminal pointed where it should, TFI pointed where it should, stake marks between distributor base and block aligned.

Good ground between distributor housing and block (clean everything bright and shiny)

Labscope the processor side of spout for any anomalies. (engine running)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Key info: When you remove the spout connector, the distributor ignores the computer.

So your problem is the distributor is not getting a signal from the computer to fire. Since the truck actually runs, the computer's not totally dead, and it's hard to say whether you have a "minor" computer problem, a bad connection, or a bad TFI module. All of these are likely. Given the condition of the EEC, you should try a different one and see what happens.

Reply to
Joe