89 F150 Ignition timing Problem

I believe Stephen and CarKB are right on the money on that one. I was looking at a diagram form mitchell on demand for the TFI-IV Distributor and the exploded view does not show a pin holding the Drive Gear to the shat assembly of the distributor. But It is there. As I look at it closely it looks align with the hole and very secure but by forcing I can rotate the drive gear on the shaft by hand. Given the speed of the engine rotation when powered I truly believe that the gear would start to slipped around the shaft slowly but surely. It will take me few days to verify this because half of the truck is apart by now. That is the price to pay for knowlege. You guys are awsome. I truly respect your time and patience and insights.

fordtech via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
Alain

So here is the verdict. The spring pin holding the distributor gear to the distributor shaft was worned out, allowing the gear to rotate freely around the distrbutor shaft. I replaced it with a new one at a cost of $.24 cents. The timing was immediately stabalized and now I can proceed to repair the exhaust system with a hefty price tag. My advice to all is to at least once a year inspect your distributor gear and pin for signs of fatigue. (For those models using a similar set up). It will save you a lot of money and worries.

Thanks to all.