89 Ford F-150 straight six Solenoid Switch

I'm having problems with my battery draining after about 5 hours when sitting. After checking the battery and alternator I narrowed it down by disconnecting the wires on the solenoid switch noticing when I disconnect a couple of them their is no voltage drain. Well now I have three of the 5 hooked up and my voltage is fine. The truck starts and I have the headlights working. I know 1 wire goes to the the starter and another goes to the fuse block anyone know where the other 3 go to? I want to find the problem but want to avoid tearing apart the harness trying to figure out where they all go to. Or has anyone seen a similar problem? Thanks, Vince

Reply to
Vince

According to the wiring diagram:

Red is common with the Bat/Ammeter/Starter. Fusible link inline

Brn to starter

Yel to Ign Sw

Brn/Yel(2x) to Neutral start sw (if A trans) and to A/C system.

Hope this helps....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

You'll need the schematic to see where each lead goes. What doesn't work when these two are left off?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Thanks after seeing more in the daylight and checking things it was a green wire that goes in to the altenator and also branches off to something else in to another wiring harness. Auto Zone tested my altenator and said it was ok and it is charging the system but whenever I connect the wire back to the solenoid the battery drops slowly. So a alternator can drain a battery even when not running? or could it be the voltage regulater? Thanks, Vince

Reply to
Vince

You could have up to 4 bad diodes in the alternator and still show 1/3 output. And yes, shorted diodes will drain a battery. The next step would be to just take the large wire off the alternator and see if the drains goes away.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Well that answeres some Okay I don't see a large wire at all. I do see to plugs going in to the alternator one on the bottom and one on the side so I would unplug one of these? and then connect the green wire back to the solenoid switch? Thanks

Reply to
Vince

Yes, one of the plugs should have a 10ga wire on it. That's the one you want to unplug. Or if unsure, just unplug both.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT