'94 Ranger..Please help!

Hi,

I have a '94 Ranger (4.0) with 146k miles on it, and have been having some major headaches lately with it. I have a guy working on it, and with his scanner's error codes, came up with replacing the DPFE, the EGR relay, the idle sensors, and a couple other things.

Symptoms: At hill climbing, or moderate engine loads, I will get a fairly substantial knocking going. It is intermittent, and random, but when it happens, it sounds like hammers in a dryer! He replaced some of the parts a while ago, and it worked okay, but the "check engine" light would always come on after a minute or so after starting the truck. I switched out the DPFE two weeks ago, but it still is going on.

Now--to add to my woes--I am getting a hesitation, jerking sensation at between 55 and 65 mph. It is pretty sever at times. I had a bad plug around a year ago, so I decided--myself--to change out the plugs. It still is doing that, and the other noise as well.

I really like the guy who's looking at the truck, and I only have to pay him in beer, but I don't think he's getting what's happening. I don't know if the scanner hw uses doesn't jibe with the year truck I have, or if he's not reading the codes in proper order....OR WHAT?!?!?

Can anyone make a suggesation to me, so that I could pass it along to him. I'm not sure what brand scanner he has, but I could find out. I don't want to take it in to the dealer, unless it is the "very" best option I have.

I don't want to bail on the truck, but it can't be down every other week as well. I am a working stiff, and need my vehicle.

Thanks for any input....

Reply to
Dickless Cheney

If you are getting DPFE codes, check the EGR passages, they are probably clogged.

Reply to
Michael O

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:00:20 +0000, Dickless Cheney rearranged some electrons to form:

Try a different guy. Or maybe give this one some MGD instead of PBR.

Reply to
David M

My brother had similar problems w/ a '94 4L EFI. After much parts replacing @ the dealership, an oldtimer cleaned the sensor wires in his MAF sensor and the problems disappeared.

Reply to