95 Windstar Knocking

Okay...my wife really did it this time I believe, but before I take the Windstar into a mechanic to check out, maybe I can get some opinions here. The wife set out yesterday morning to do some chores.... drove a couple miles at 25mph until she reached the interstate, then another 5 miles or so on the interstate at 60 - 65mph until she finally realized she had the transmission in 2nd gear rather than Drive! She said she felt some *pulling* from the vehicle, but thought maybe a brake shoe was sticking and was going to stop after she got off of the interstate. Now the engine is making a fairly loud knocking sound when first started for about a second and then knocks (not as loud as when first started, but very audible) while driving, especially when the transmission shifts. There doesn't seem to be any loss of power....so far that is. My guess is that one or more pistons is shot and this is going to be an expensive repair :( The vehicle has 133,000 miles on it and drove very nicely until now. I've always taken very good care of it....matter of fact I'd just did a complete oil change a couple of days prior to this. Any other guesses and round-a-bout repair costs?

Reply to
Guardian