96 F-150: new Eaton differential getting hot

I made some recent posts about getting a new Eaton posi unit i n my 96 F-150. Well, its been in for a few week now, and I really like it. However, recently, the back brakes started pulsating, expecially if I apply just a few clicks of emergency brakes before coming to a stop sign. Humm, never did that before. Anyways, went staight to shucks to get new drums. Got the drums home, and getting ready to get it up on jacks and let the drums cool down. I wentand put my hand on the differential, and Wow!, that sucker's hot! Not manifold hot, but I can only keep my hand on it for about 5-10 seconds max. Is this normal? Its hottest around the pinion/yoke area, but the whole pumpkin's fairly hot. Commute is about 30+ miles mostly highway, with neighborhood jogging for the last 5 miles. Anyone have any insight on this? What is normal heating with a differential that has a new Eaton unit?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Only if you spent like 6 hours driving in very tight circles.

Refresh my memory, how much work was done to the rear axle when the Eaton was installed?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Eaton, axle shafts, all bearings (original ring/pinion reused)

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Wild guess would be that there is too much bearing pre-load somewhere.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

So how hot should it get? I'll get a temp reading tomorrow. I have one of them laser/Infred aim-n-shoot temp probe things.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

THis is quite normal as it can easily exceed 200 degrees at times and is no cause for concern.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Cool, thanks (now, to just solve the pulsating rear brakes) I've took some readings with the thermometer below: (30+ mile ride home on a 80-degree day, 96 F-150 auto)

- rear diff housing near yoke/pinion: 142-150 Degrees F

- rear diff back cover: 140 Degrees F

- back half of muffler: 260 Degrees F

- edge of new brake drums (shot thur hole in rim): 180 Degrees F

So wow, yeah, the hand is deceiving, thats for sure. To touch, feels like it can melt solder. To meter, not bad as all. Meter is:

Mr Wizzard

Well, there ya go...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Good deal. You want to see something, read it after towing and climbing a long hill too. It will likely be well over 200 degrees.

SnoMan

Does it have the clutch-pack type limited slip? If so check your rear tire pressure...if you have one side low you're grinding those clutch discs just driving in a straight line.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo