96 f-150 catalytic conv

Help. When my son went off to college, I let him buy my 1996 F-150 4x4 from me. He plays in the mud some, but mostly likes it for deer and duck hunting, so I had no problem with the 4" lift he installed, but he recently had a friend try to talk him into gutting the catalytic converter. He said that the decrease in backflow pressure will increase horsepower. As the truck has aged, it has gotten a little slower, but this seems extreme to me. Other than being illegal, could this be bad for the truck? I have told him not to do it for now. TIA.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

||Help. When my son went off to college, I let him buy my 1996 F-150 4x4 from ||me. He plays in the mud some, but mostly likes it for deer and duck ||hunting, so I had no problem with the 4" lift he installed, but he recently ||had a friend try to talk him into gutting the catalytic converter. He said ||that the decrease in backflow pressure will increase horsepower. As the ||truck has aged, it has gotten a little slower, but this seems extreme to me. ||Other than being illegal, could this be bad for the truck? I have told him ||not to do it for now. TIA.

I doubt you would notice the difference, either way, unless the cat is restricted.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

He won't notice any difference, and it may lower the mileage due to the o2 sensors being "mis-informed" from the lack of temperature. Tell him to drive it and leave it alone. If he wants more power, then buy a good truck (mid '70's) with a 460 in it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I wade into this. No it won't help and probably will hurt hp numbers. Newer cars/trucks are designed for the backpressure caused by having the catalytic converter installed. Now then I could be wrong but many years ago I seem to remember that without back pressure you could burn an exhaust valve and that also back pressure helped with low end torque but I could be totally wrong. I do know that if he pulls it off chances are he'll have to put it back on to past emissions.

Reply to
pete