95 F-150 starting to run hot

I've got a 95 F-150 with ac, standard 5 sp. trans, 6 cylinder. It's starting to run in the upper end of the temperature range and sometimes goes up to the red line.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, GMC

Reply to
garcam

If it were mine and it is not currently losing coolant, I would start with a new thermostat & water pump with a system flush since those are relatively cheap maintenance items anyway. The radiator may also need cleaning and, if it is overheating at low speeds, the fan clutch may be bad. If you want to nickel/dime it doing it yourself, the thermostat is the cheapest place to start.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

And double check your tempt gauge to make sure the engine is actually getting hot.

Reply to
MT-2500

if it has a fan clutch check it also to see if it is working.

Reply to
Warren Weber

The rest of the guys have given you some good information. I will only add that, since you have a/c, make sure the a/c condensor is not blocked, or that there is not a layer of trash between the condensor and the radiator.

This is not uncommon, especially if you drive the truck in rural settings, pastures, etc.

Reply to
<HLS