96 F350 AT shifter cable, and some griping

96 F350 4x4 w/ 5.8L, and lately I started noticing that sometimes when I parked the truck and shut the ignition off the truck would roll, and after moving the shift lever a bit it would lock in. My wife is having the same kind of problem in other gears but hasn't really noticed it yet. It sometimes won't start because the reverse lockout switch at the transmission isn't lined up right. As I understand the arrangement, there is a control cable from the column to the transmission, but before I start getting cramped up under the dash looking for the source of free play (I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and haven't gotten all the painless motion back yet) I'd like to see if anyone has any guidance for places to start looking. The Haynes manual for it is too broad in the years, and the 96 is barely covered if at all. If the cable is coming apart it's worth knowing before it comes apart when I least need it to happen! This damn truck. In just in the last year alone I've done the front axle seals, all the tie rods, ball joints on one side, and damn near every front axle seal, door latch mechanism, 100% brake job all the way around, and still needs a new oil pan gasket, front seat repaired, real axle seal, and exhaust manifold which has a massive crack in it. It only has about 120K miles on it! This is one &^%$#@! expensive truck to have. Grr!
Reply to
carl mciver

Turns out that at the column under the dash there is a shaft of sorts that sticks out and is connected to an offset lever which is connected to the cable. There are two screws connecting the lever to the shaft and they had come loose. Snugged 'em down and for once in a long time it was an easy fix!

Reply to
carl mciver

Damn glad to hear it - I know how frustrating it can get but that should be a good truck for you. If my 74 and 83 are any indication, you can get many more good years out of it! Besides, have you looked at the price of a new

4x4 F350? Also, once you get it all fixed, you will know that everything is solid, right?

Razor

Reply to
Razorblade

Thanks for the chuckle. Now if I can just find another one, I'll lift up the body and slide another chassis under that one. Shortly after that I'll drop the chassis and slap another body on top of it. Whole new truck, right?

Oh, gawd, the price of new crew cabs are enough to make me wanna puke. Unfortunately, with a family of six, stuff, and places to go, there really is no substitute for a crew cab, although I disagree with my wife about the necessity of a 4X4. She likes the respect she gets on the road, while I'm the one underneath it replacing every damn part with the biggest price tags!

Reply to
carl mciver

I wonder if you could manage to keep the same VIN after all that... probably get arrested for running a chop shop!

That's funny about the wife though... usually it's the other way around.

Good Luck!

Razor

Reply to
Razorblade