96 5.8L Throttle position sensor

Got a 96 F350 w/ a 5.8L in it and lately more and more when I press the gas pedal the truck will hold up for a second then sort of surge to catch up to the pedal's location. If I do it slowly I can tell exactly where it happens. I just wanted to confirm that the TPS is wearing. Can I clean it or should I spring for a new one?

Reply to
carl mciver

just replace it

you can't open it without destroying it

Reply to
TranSurgeon

But you can drill a small hole in it and spray some electrical clean and lube in it. You have nothing to loose if it doesn't help. If you have a analog volt meter you can check it and see if it's bad.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I've taken apart (destructively) several TPS's

in all cases, it was not 'dirty', but rather that the carbon tracks upon which the 'wipers' ran were literally worn away

you can't 'clean' something that's no longer there

TranSurgeon

I've cleaned up a few with good results. One was a late 90's Prizm, it lasted almost 30K miles before she wrecked it. Also did this to a ERG sensor feedback pot on a 88 T-Bird. If the carbon is worn away you need a new one. But it can't hurt to try to clean it. I set up a test with a scope and a small power supply, you can really see the noise:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al