Subaru cars not designed for downshifting?

From time to time I have had a problem downshifting from 5th to 4th on my 05 LGT, even with the clutch fully depressed. I mentioned this to the Subaru Dealers' service advisor and he told me that Subarus were not designed to be downshifted, and that the owner's manual refers to that. I told him I had never heard of any car that was not designed to be downshifted and my previous two Subarus did not exhibit that problem. I have since looked in the owner's manual and cannot find the reference to which he refers. In factt the manual mentions to downshift when going down steep grades ( Amazing, I would never have thought of that!).

I should have been informed that they were not designed to be downshifted before I bought the car.

Reply to
paul

Edward Hayes

You hear the darndest things out of the mouths of Subaru dealer employees. It's sometimes as if no one in the entire organisation knows anything about their products. Subaru's are not your everyday Honda or Toyota and you'd think it would be in Subaru's interest to teach everyone how their models are built and why.

It's all left up to enthusiasts to figure out things for themselves. Thank God for groups like this one and NASIOC and others.

By the way, I have no problems downshifting my Impreza RS. Even into first while moving up to 30 kph if I double clutch.

Reply to
Paul

The dealer probably has you for an idiot.

MN

Reply to
MN

What the heck is the alternative to downshifting? Stopping the car and starting over from first gear? The mind boggles!

Reply to
Tom Reingold

i have trouble on hard, quick downshifts from 5 to 4 when about to pass in a blip -- i get locked out of the detent. if i go just slightly slower or pause then it is all good. but if i move the lever like my life depends on it (and it may, from time to time) I am S.O.L.

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

In article , paul wrote: (snip)

How bizarre. I don't even see how that can be mechanically true if you bother to rev-match as you downshift. My '04 WRX STi's manual says nothing like that, and it downshifts just fine.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

This topic was discussed on Miata.Net once and there were a number of dealers involved in the discussion. The point they made was that in sales, most people's eyes will glaze over if you talk to them about this stuff when trying to sell them a car.

Since salesmanship is more important in making the sale then knowing anything about the product it is left up to the salesman to become familiar with the vehicles they are selling.

Some will say anything to avoid saying anything bad about a particular car or product, no matter how supid it sounds when you stop and think about it.

Most made the point that if you want to know about the car, talk about it on a site like this, if you just want to buy a car, talk to the salesman.

Reply to
Andre

I have since written to SOA conent of which is below.

Subaru of America, Inc. Subaru Plaza P.O. Box 6000 Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000 Attn: Customer/Dealer Services

October 6, 2005

Dear Sirs,

Reference: 05 Legacy GT Wagon

This is my third new Subaru but will definitely be my last. The service advisor has informed me categorically that this model "is not designed for downshifting", and that the Owner Manual points that out also. I cannot find reference to that. What am I supposed to do if the traffic slows and then picks up again, (Stop and change into 1st and start over?)

If that statement is really true and represents the manufacturer's viewpoint then it should be

clearly marked on a sticker and in all advertising. Why anyone would want to buy a car which was not designed for downshifting is beyond me. If it is simply the dealer's opinion based on that assumption from a large number of consumer complaints then Subaru should issue a recall and refund the purchase price under the lemon laws.

I had been having a problem downshifting from 5 to 4 regardless of rev matching and double clutching etc., once or twice a day. The problem improved immensely when I removed the

original carpet which when installed along with a rubber mat over it precluded the clutch being depressed to the last 1/8" or so. I had the same setup on my WRX and never once had the problem. Since removing that mat I have not had an occasion where it absolutely will not shift but I have several where it has been notchy and difficult, and it is still only from

5-4.

The car now has 3000 miles.

Another problem which I referred to the dealer was the fact that the remote door opener often needed 20 pushes and walking around the car, and, as these newer cars do not even have door key locks the driver has no option but to keep walking and pointing until getting it just right. On the other hand, in some situations I can unlock the doors from 100' away. The service advisor explained that it was building interference. I can understand that if the building was between the car and the key, but not from 1' away with nothing in between. I have owned American cars and never had a similar problem. Again he tells me that there is nothing that can be done to rectify that problem. That being the case why did Subaru eliminate the door locks? To keep walking and clicking in 110 weather is no fun and it's probably worse in rainy places too.

This situation is not acceptable.

Yours truly

Reply to
paul

Good letter & good luck.

Reply to
phillystyle

clip) That being the case why did Subaru eliminate the door locks? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't think I would be happy with ANY car that relies entirely on electronic/electrical door locks. Suppose you lose your keys, along with the remote? A spare key is easy, but a spare remote? What if the battery in your remote dies? What if you have a dead car battery?

Reply to
l.lichtman

And *please* don't tell my Outback that it shouldn't be downshifted. We've been doing it happily for 6 years and 115,000 miles....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The dealer probably has you for an idiot.

MN

I would say he has an idiot for a dealer.

I have not encountered this problem with my 05 LGT, and I have always thought that the remote entry on this car is far superior (works consistantly from a greater distance) to any other car I've owned.

It seems to me the best thing to do is keep bitching until they properly address your problems.

Good luck, Chris

Reply to
bumpfreaq

(snip text)

I was going to post this anyway but your comment about the mat reinforces it. Get the dealer to adjust the clutch freeplay with the additional mat in place. If it's been set without it there, you're eventually going to stuff up something in the transmission because your clutch won't be fully disengaging. May not be the problem but it can't hurt! Same thing happened with my 91 Liberty when I put mats in - very quick self fix and only a bit longer to set the hill holder back up properly.

My 99 OBW has the same annoying lack of range with the clicker. Maybe it's to stop some lurking hopeful darting out, jumping into the driver's seat and hotwiring your pride and joy before you cover the remaining 20 yards to the door .....? Hmmmm! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

I sometimes have the feeling that Subarus are not meant for upshifting either. :-)

They have one of the most difficult to manage clutches I've ever seen in a car so far. Often the difference between fully engaged and disengaged is just microns of travel. That's in my 2000 OBW.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

That's interesting, never thought of double-clutching. What's the proper technique for that? Just clutch, put it into neutral, take your foot off the clutch and then put it all the way back in again, and then put it into first?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I learned to double-clutch as a kid, riding on school busses, before I was old enough to drive. It is needed for downshifting a transmission that does not have syncromesh. The technique is 1.) Step on clutch

2.) Shift to neutral 3.)Foot off clutch 4.) Feed gas to bring engine speed to match road speed for the gear you're shifting to 5.) Downshift 6.) Engage clutch. Learning to get the revs right for step 4.) takes practice.

All of this is totally unnecessary on any modern car. Maybe, if you wore out a synchro, and wanted to save the cost of a tranny repair, you could do it.

Reply to
l.lichtman

Hi,

It may or may not help synchros last longer, but it certainly makes downshifts much smoother so the power transition doesn't happen as a "bam" kind of situation! Takes a lot of stress off the entire drivetrain IMO.

I suppose it could be argued with current gearboxes that "rev matching" would be a better term?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Does this guy sell swampland on the side? I can't speak to current Subies, but on those cars of "my" generation (GLs and Loyales) before Subaru started selling cars in the US with enough power to pull the hat off your head, shift levers got as much of a workout as the oars on a rowboat. Not designed to downshift--that's precious!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

going good so far but about here, a quick, light, blip on the gas and as the revs die away ...and then put it all the way back in again, and then put it

Reply to
Bugalugs