'98 Ranger Disc Brakes

The service guide calls for lubricating the caliper slide rails every 5K miles. Can someone explain this procedure? I assume the wheel has to come off; do I also need to remove the caliper?

Reply to
FBC3

Jack it up. Take off the front wheels. Remove the caliper hardware that secure the calipers to the caliper brackets. If you don't already have them on, put on safety glasses. With a wire brush or similar tool, clean the "grooves" that the calipers slide in, both on the caliper and the bracket. Inspect the pads for wear, and replace them as necessary. Inspect your rotors for cracks, rust pits, grooving, etc. Inspect the dust boots on the caliper pistons for tears or leaking. Inspect the rubber brake lines for kinks, cracks or binds. Replace them if needed. If you have to replace hoses, you will have to bleed the system, don't attempt it if you don't know how to properly bleed brakes, but have it done by someone qualified. Have the rotors machined smooth if you detect any abnormal wear, or if your steering wheel shakes excessively during stopping. Have the rotors replaced if they're too thin to machine. Once those steps are complete, lubricate the surfaces you cleaned with a high-temp caliper lube, I prefer silicone brake lube, but there are others out there. Don't over do it on the lube, it'll attract dust and such. Re-install pads into calipers, and calipers back onto the caliper brackets. Re-install wheels and torque to specs, about 80ft lbs on your truck. Before moving vehicle, pump brake pedal a few times to insure proper feel and that nothing unusual has occurred.

That's about it.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thanks for the reply. Seems like a lot of work to do every five thousand miles.

Reply to
FBC3

And what service guide would that be? It certainly doesn't come from Ford. Bob

Reply to
Bob

You're welcome, it's not too bad, the alternative is take it to Midas, or Monro Muffler, they and several others will check brakes for free, but you have to be careful what they try to sell you.

Doing it yourself it'll take about an hour.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Just did discs on '98 ranger. Lower caliper bolt on driver's side was rusty and seized, took a fair amount of time to work it loose. Wish I still had Aerokroil. It is well worth pulling the bolts out, removing the boots and cleaning and then antiseizing the bolt shank as this is what the caliper slides on.

John H.

Reply to
Mustmaker

Actually it is a ford recommended procedure. It's in the owners manual under periodic maint.

Steve Barker

You're trying to tell me Ford recommends lubing the caliper slides every

5,000 miles? I just looked it up and they recommend it every 30k for severe duty and every 60k for normal duty Bob

Reply to
Bob