99 F-250 transmission problem

I have a 1999 f-250 4X4 with a 7.3 engine and have quite a transmission problem. As long as the truck is in neutral or drive there is no problem but as soon as I shift into reverse the transmission begins to absolutely gush fluid. It looks as though the fluid comes from somewhere up on top out of direct sight. The transmission still shifts into reverse and drive smoothly (that is as long as there is still enough fluid). Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Husk-Her

only in reverse ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Yep, only in reverse. That what stumped me? I can drive miles, but once I shift into reverse fluid comes pouring out.

Reply to
Husk-Her

This problem seems to be the case. I have 3 F350's in my files over the past 2 years that have caught fire when this happened. All three were found with the dipstick pushed out a couple of inches and the right side of the engine compartment doused in trans fluid. It also appears to come from the case vent which would indicate the case vent to be clear. There is no indication of seal leakage. It does not appear to be related to heat as one of the units had been parked for 6 hours just before it started to back up with an equipment trailer. It had moved less than 50 feet when it burped and caught fire. One of the 3 had this happen in two prior occasions without catching fire. Trans was pulled and built after each event. If anyone comes up with a cause for this, I would sure like to hear about it.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Wow, that's scary. Thanks for the heads-up. If I find the cause I'll let you know.

Reply to
Husk-Her

Off the top of my head I can think of two things that could cause this. One is a bad leak in the reverse clutch pack that it routing a lot of oil back to pan in a path the is trapping some air and bubbling fluid out, the other is a bad leak in the valve body reverse circuit that is doing the same. Some how a lot of fliud is being expelled internally were it is not supossed to be and it is trapping air in the process through leakge and or areation caused by the leakage and causing the effect you have. Also with a big internal leak the pump could be cavitating and sucking air and creativing a oily foam that would vent out too.

Reply to
SnoMan