99 F150 XL Digital Odometer Disappears

About 6 weeks ago we bought a 99 F150 XL which seems to be in pretty decent shape. Yesterday I noticed while driving down the highway the odometer disappeared for a few minutes then reappeared. It's a digital odometer with the tripometer built in and switchable by a small pushbutton on the right side of the cluster. The weather was cool and damp...misty and foggy...SE Oklahoma near McAlester in the mountains. Would this sound like a flakey fuse? Dampness? Thanks.

Reply to
ceg

I've got a 99 F150 XLT 4x4 with the same problem. The display has been popping in and out for the past 2 years but I have basically ignored it. When it first started happening I found that if I thumped the top of the dash just above the radio that the display would come back so I just figured it was a loose connection that I would adjust at a later date. I'm in Ontario, Canada and temp seems to have no effect since it will happen on dry frigid winter days of -40 degrees right up to summer days of "holy crap is it ever hot and humid out!!!" This past summer I mentioned it to a meachanic at a dealer and he said they had seen quite a few like that in the past and that there were no loose connections found so it was one of those things that make you go hmmmm. I've looked through TSB's up to Feb. 2001 but I have never found mention of the problem. If you get yours to stay steady then let me know what you did and I'll do the same.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks for the response. So far I have attributed it to a combination of what I had for dinner the night before, whether or not the fish are biting and the phase of the moon. In all seriousness, my original thoughts were a loose connection or moisture buildup on a connection. I'll let you know if I come across anything else.

Reply to
ceg

Found this...

...and this...

-- AnandaQuest

ceg
[sorry...the first link wrapped...be sure to add 'on' to the end of the first link]

on

Reply to
ceg