1998 F1-50 XLT Dash Lights

Quick question. The right side of my dash has gone dim, and the A/C and heater control panel has gone dark. I figure there's probably 1 light that manages the 3 heater control dial lights, as well as the right side of the dash. How do I get in there to replace? Or where can I find the information? On a 1-5 scale, how difficult is it to fix?

Thanks,

Russ

Reply to
Russ Braaten

Russ Braaten

Hard to believe nobody can help me.

Reply to
Russ Braaten

I'd help you, but my truck is doing the same thing, and I was kinda waiting for an answer so I can fix mine too...

Later... Grant

Git-R-Done!!!

Darrell Russell (1968-2004)

Reply to
Forcefan83

I'd love to help, by my manual (Chilton) doesn't give much detail.

Can you get your hand behind the panel? Are there any panels you might be able to remove that would give you access to the back of the panel? You might be able to remove the radio and get to the bulbs that way. Have you checked all the fuses and connections you can reach?

If you can reach the back of the panel, it appears the bulbs are in a holder that requires about 1/4 turn to remove. It would feel about 1 inch long and

1/4 inch wide. From what I can see there are 2 in the a/c control panel alone.

The best advice I can give it to get a repair manual and check it out. Just in case, the book does say remove the battery ground before messing with this stuff.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Don't stress. The A/C heater control panel went dark on my 99 F150XLT a while ago. I cannot remember the types of bulb but they were very easy to replace. Maybe they were 194's but I couldn't swear to it.

The first thing to do is to get the small stereo/heater control trim part off the middle of the dash. This is just held on by spring clips and will pop off without much force. You can use a smooth flat tool like a butterknife to get it started. Once the trim is off is it very obvious how the rest comes off. There are a few little screws and a plug connector for the ashtray light that you will need to take off.

I think there were a couple bulbs in the control. Get three or four, they're cheap and available at any auto parts store. BTW this is the same part to remove if you want to get at your stereo.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Stephen, This is EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thanks a bunch. Just for reference on my 98, which is an F150XLT as well, in order to remove the trim part off the middle of the dash completely, I had to remove the passenger airbag de-activation switch which was just 2 screws. Could have left it dangling but didn't want to risk it. Oh, and I didn't have to remove the plug connector for the ashtray light. I have never seen this type of bulb before, but I'm sure Autozone has..... which is where I am off to.

Thanks again Stephen,

Russ

Reply to
Russ Braaten

Stephen, and all interested.

Just returned from Autozone with functional, illuminated A/C heater control panel lights. yes they were 194's, but they came out of the panel in little quick release sockets that get their power from the control box. You just pull them straight out of the socket and replace. There were no wires connected.

Thanks again Stephen,

Russ

Reply to
Russ Braaten

Yer welcome! The passenger airbag control is not on the middle trim part on the 99's but it was similar enough I guess. I hope you go a few extras. It's not a bad idea to keep a few spare 194's on hand, along with 1156's etc. as well since they burn out from time to time. I write all this stuff down in a log book I keep in every vehicle I get. I remembered about the dashlight entry after I replied to you or I would have told you what number the bulbs were before you took the dash apart.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Ok, if I had known how easy that was going to be I would have replaced those bulbs a year ago. I thought I was going to need to tear the bash apart, Thank you Stephen!!!

One caveat, the bulbs I took out had 161 stamped on them. The 161 and 194 bulbs look identical and have the same specs on the package. I asked the guy at AutoZone what the difference was and he said he thought one might be for dimmer controlled switches and the other not. For that reason I put 161 back in since that's what it had before and they are controlled with the dash dimmer switch.

Thanks y'all

Reply to
Clark Nethers