ABS light stays on at Times ?

F150 1997 ABS lights stay on most of the time . Had the breaks checked and seems to be working fine ? But the light goes off some times . How can I find the problem without a large bill at a Ford dealer ? If you had this problem please let me know how to correct it . Thanks for any info on this problem . We are pulling a 23 foot 5th wheel . Fox .

Reply to
r.catherwood

If you are pulling a 23' 5th wheel trailer with a F150 you need more help than just your ABS ....you need a reality check. What dealer on earth would put a 5th wheel hitch on a F150???? Back to your ABS question....OK, had yer "breaks" checked ....by who? What did they check? Fluid level? Pad thickness? Stop lights? What codes did this "break" checker pull? Time to have your brakes checked by someone who knows what they are doing. FWIW the sensor in the rear differential causes lots of ABS troubles...

Reply to
bomar

"Breaks"??

Reply to
Steve Barker

Reply to
r.catherwood

We were down on the Texas coast with our RV club last fall and saw a 35' Terry fifth wheel being pulled by a 2001 F150 Supercrew. All the club members just stood outside and watched him, amazed that somebody could be that dumb. He couldn't make turns sharp enough to get out of the parking lot because of the overhead and had to do a lot of backing and filling to get away. The hitch had been installed by an RV dealer in New Braunfels Texas. The Terry, by the way, has wooden construction and is one heavy SOB. The 150 would pull it, but I'd sure hate to try to stop it.

JH

bomar wrote:

Reply to
jhharris

Can't say if your ABS system is the same as mine,but... My 99 F150 ABS light went on steady. Been like that for 1.5yrs. Finally got info from a CarX shop. Since mine has no connecttor to read the codes, I had to find a black wire with an orange stripe in the harnesses in the passenger kick panel area. Disconnected it. connected a wire to it. Grounded the wire after turning key to run ( did not start engine). ABS light begins flashing. Count the flashes ( including the long one on the end.

Mine was 9 . As Bomar said, it was the rear differential speed sensor. cost all of $13. The big problem was finding a parts place that had any idea what I was looking for. AutoZone wanted $40. Even CarQuest was asking $36. Fortunately the CarQuest part never showed up and a different counter man located the right part . And it was cheaper.

Just my 2¢ GH

"r.catherwood" wrote:

Reply to
GH

|Can't say if your ABS system is the same as mine,but... |My 99 F150 ABS light went on steady. Been like that for 1.5yrs. Finally got |info from a CarX shop. |Since mine has no connecttor to read the codes, I had to find a black wire |with an orange stripe in the harnesses in the passenger kick panel area. |Disconnected it. connected a wire to it. |Grounded the wire after turning key to run ( did not start engine). |ABS light begins flashing. |Count the flashes ( including the long one on the end. | |Mine was 9 . |As Bomar said, it was the rear differential speed sensor. |cost all of $13. |The big problem was finding a parts place that had any idea what I was looking |for. |AutoZone wanted $40. Even CarQuest was asking $36. Fortunately the CarQuest |part never showed up and a different counter man located the right part . And |it was cheaper.

Monitoring this thread, as my '94 has the same problem as the OP. Looked up the diff sensor, jobber price is $13.84 in Raybestos, and it shows to be selling pretty well. I'll just grab one and skip the wire-cutting part. Thanks for the tip.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

|Can't say if your ABS system is the same as mine,but... |My 99 F150 ABS light went on steady. Been like that for 1.5yrs. Finally got |info from a CarX shop. |Since mine has no connecttor to read the codes, I had to find a black wire |with an orange stripe in the harnesses in the passenger kick panel area. |Disconnected it. connected a wire to it. |Grounded the wire after turning key to run ( did not start engine). |ABS light begins flashing. |Count the flashes ( including the long one on the end. | |Mine was 9 . |As Bomar said, it was the rear differential speed sensor. |cost all of $13. |The big problem was finding a parts place that had any idea what I was looking |for. |AutoZone wanted $40. Even CarQuest was asking $36. Fortunately the CarQuest |part never showed up and a different counter man located the right part . And |it was cheaper. | |Just my 2¢ |GH | |"r.catherwood" wrote: | |> F150 1997 ABS lights stay on most of the time . Had the breaks checked and |> seems to be working fine ? But the light goes off some times . How can I |> find the problem without a large bill at a Ford dealer ? |> If you had this problem please let me know how to correct it . Thanks for |> any info on this problem . We are pulling a 23 foot 5th wheel . |> Fox . |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

just be careful getting the bolt out of the diff

you haven't had fun till you twist one off and have to drill the old one out...........

soak it with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight before you even THINK about putting a wrench on it............

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

|> Rex in Fort Worth | |just be careful getting the bolt out of the diff | |you haven't had fun till you twist one off and have to drill the old one |out........... | |soak it with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight before you even THINK about |putting a wrench on it............

Will do, thanks for the tip. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B