Advice needed, please!

Need a daily driver and for financial reasons am considering purchase of a mid to late 90's Ranger or F150 with A/T. Do need a truck for light, occaisional hauling and some camping. I've already searched the ng's and found some vague complaints about various years, but want to know if there are any specific years that are more problematic than others. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
roliv00

I can understand the financial reasons all too well.

I have both a 95 Ranger Ext Cab and a 98 F150 Ext cab. the ranger has a 4.0 and 5sp and the F150 a

4.6 A/T.

If you are getting a high milage vehicle due to cost if at all possible stay away from an A/T. You really have no way of knowing if the previous owner(s) followed the recommended maint. Now with that said I also have a

85 Bronco with auto and I just had to have it rebuilt at 176k but I am the original owner and well I did the required maint. My reason for a manual with an older vehicle is a clutch is cheaper to replace than a tranny rebuild on an auto.

I like the ranger for gas mileage and the only problem I have seem to have is that as it ages and mileage goes up is some of the emission sensors have failed. but have been fairly easy to fix.

The F150 has been pretty reliable for the most part. my biggest complaint is it is underpowered. the 97-99 years also had cracks develop in the doors I got the dealer to fix mine while under warranty. Do a search on the web you'll fine tons of people with the same problem.

Also 97-2000 had problems with plugs blowing out of the heads and then you'd need new heads. not cheap. some people can get away with a heli insert.

The problem with the plugs seem to be a: not enough thread. b: not torquing the plugs to specs when changing them. Also if you need a tune which is not more than plugs and wires the 4.6 and 5.4 have coil over plug which will cost you about 563.00 at a dealer i learned the hard way. I now do it myself and it takes a while but it can be done.

The ranger on the other hand has been easy to maintain.

just my 2 cents

Reply to
Tim G

Check Consumer Reports magazine. They have an annual issue that rates cars and trucks, and shows problem areas for the past 8-10 years.

Reply to
Terry Sellick